Newb question

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Nope born and raised in TX.
I knew the 72" would only hold so long hence why I am already looking for something bigger.
do you know that piranha are illegal in TX?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think they might get up to 10' long if they live in a big enough tank/pond for like 100 years! there is some gars in Texas fresh water fisheries center that they keep for a really long time (I've heard they are there for like more than 30 years) some of them weight more than 200 lbs and about 7 feet long. They also have a long nose gar that almost 7 feet long!
Yes, it takes a considerable amount of time for alligator gars to reach truly monstrous sizes, and most hobbyists never have the resources (space, food, water parameters) to allow their gars to grow that large. As for the longnose gars, I highly doubt that they have any 7' specimens that are pure longnose gars; they're more likely alligator gar x longnose gar hybrids.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Yes, it takes a considerable amount of time for alligator gars to reach truly monstrous sizes, and most hobbyists never have the resources (space, food, water parameters) to allow their gars to grow that large. As for the longnose gars, I highly doubt that they have any 7' specimens that are pure longnose gars; they're more likely alligator gar x longnose gar hybrids.
that is a 100% longnose gar! and it's in Texas Freshwater fisheries center, a government top hatchery and education center in Texas so a genetic check is not too hard for them!

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
that is a 100% longnose gar! and it's in Texas Freshwater fisheries center, a government top hatchery and education center in Texas so a genetic check is not too hard for them!
Interesting. I was always told that said giant longnose gars were simply hybrids rather than pure longnose gars.

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
Anyone able to get pics of 7' long nose? I would very much like to see one that size. Should be quite a sight. :)

And gators get pass the 3' mark quite easily, given the proper condition and space.

WorkHardPlayHarder28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2011
Maryland
I just got a 30" alligator gar and I noticed it has changed colors several times. Sometimes it is really dark and the black colors are very bold and other times it is lighter almost a grayish/yellow/white. It seems to change as it goes different places in the aquarium with different decor like rocks etc. This is crazy, I thought it was just me!! It seems almost chameleon like to blend it with it's environment.

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
This thread got jacked
Oops. Sorry. You should your answers already from the posts here.
Let me summarize for u again.
1. It is a gator and it will grow huge.
2. Fishes changing colors to blend into environment is quite common, for gators, its more of change the tones.
3. Shedding is not common if u can show us how is the shedding like. Gars have a layer of slime covering the scales, no skin so should not shed. Under stressful conditions, more slime will be produced causing water to form bubbles on the top. If by shedding u mean that the layer of slime drying up then you have problem with your water condition. Check the ph. That's the only thing I can think of.

Anything thing else that's not clear please add on. Cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store