Newly imported marble rotting

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Sorry to here once their disk starts to go they deteriorate fast. The kind of bacteria that eats their flesh is nasty and fast. So yes treat the whole tank. Just follow directions and run it for the recommended time. It can hang out in your system and any stress on a ray will cause an outbreak. My melt down started with a frt that bit some rays. That stress and open wounds caused a melt down worth writing a book over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Wow must have been a terrible experience. So Fishdog i have fungus guard on hand. I have enough to do 2 doses and can get more if need be. Says to add a second dose after 4 days. Would you suggest to use this product and do only the 2 doses?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I would go at least 10 days so do 3 doses. Should be enough. If the others showed signs of rot I would tell you to dose higher amount and everyday but this is more of a preventative at this point.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sorry for your loss......

WC Marbles aren't fun. I've lost many. QT is a must. Established rays will stress them to the point where it's almost impossible to bring them back without solitary isolation...... Some seem fine, eat on day 1, others seem emo - reclusive and refuse to eat just circling the drain, sometimes for weeks at a time. Very sad to watch. I bet I lost 1/3 of the WC ones I've dealt with.

Let me know if Jehmco won't send the meds and I'll order whatever you want and send it up......

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Sorry for your loss......

WC Marbles aren't fun. I've lost many. QT is a must. Established rays will stress them to the point where it's almost impossible to bring them back without solitary isolation...... Some seem fine, eat on day 1, others seem emo - reclusive and refuse to eat just circling the drain, sometimes for weeks at a time. Very sad to watch. I bet I lost 1/3 of the WC ones I've dealt with.

Let me know if Jehmco won't send the meds and I'll order whatever you want and send it up......
very nice of you AL. im thinking of stocking the following:

Nitrofurazone
Praziquantel
MelaFix (already have)
Prazipro (already have)
PimaFix
Larger quantities of salt like API 50 lbs
Dimilin - Diflubenzuron (very hard to get a hold of but i do have someone who can spare some)

Guys think I've missed anything?? lol

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
UV may be something to look into as well. BUT make sure you do it right. There's LOTS of UVs being used here that aren't doing what they are supposed to cause they are so vastly undersized, or being used with improper flow rates....... End result is a waste of time and money.

Pond Prazi is more concentrated, ends up being cheaper in the long run for out typically large ray systems. No need for Prazi pro and praziquantel, my understanding is Prazi Pro is the one to use due to solubility issues.

I have Mela and Pima but won't use it again........... Snake oil in my opinion.

Not sure how much the API salt is but solar salt water softener salt is hard to beat at $5-6/ 50# bag.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'm very sorry for your loss. You can order dimlin here still:

http://www.newenglandkoi.com/Melafix-Pimafix/PondCare-Dimlin-p-143.html

It's no longer being made but they have a stock. I bought 5 bottles just to have on hand in case of anchor worms or lice. I read the new dimlin-x isn't as effective and is more toxic to sensitive fish like Elasmos.

Again sorry for you loss.

very nice of you AL. im thinking of stocking the following:

Nitrofurazone
Praziquantel
MelaFix (already have)
Prazipro (already have)
PimaFix
Larger quantities of salt like API 50 lbs
Dimilin - Diflubenzuron (very hard to get a hold of but i do have someone who can spare some)

Guys think I've missed anything?? lol

someoldchef

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
Raise water temp and use quite a bit of freshwater salt. I had the same problem a long time ago in an over crowded tank. The salt will slow the decay and help heal the wounds. Just what helped for me thanks

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
sorry for the loss...
but this thread has become a gold mine of info/hints/lessons/pointers for the rest of us when faced with a similar situation!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store