NTT won't eat

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have found the opposite if you give them any feeders once you bring a fish home then they know they are about so will hold out until they come back

I still stick to my EAT OR DIE rule no matter how expensive a fish is
I have a new male p14 about 10" disk when I got him the owner said he only eats prawn I'm now on week 3 and he has just started eating pellets

I'm not saying the EAT OR DIE rule doesn't go wrong sometimes but you need to hold out for 6 weeks with tigers they are stubborn

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I am going to try this with my Chinese Perch,any thoughts?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think I've spotted a hint of potential in the endeavor.When I drop in a chunk of shrimp or tilapia for my yellow perch,every so often the Siniperca will dart out towards the food as it falls to the bottom but he stops short of eating it and turns away...If he is hungry enough one of these times I think he will take the food.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Day 17 ... how's the ntt doing. Post a pic also. Surpised its not taking chopped prawn marinated in bloodworm. Start with that then move on to marinated pellets. The move onto just pellets .

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
It's day 18 and I'll update tonight with pic when I feed. Last night he was out and about exploring every spot in the tank. I have tried hikari sinking pellets, NLS sinking pellets, chopped tilapia and market prawns, and brine shrimp. He would dart at it like he has interest then just let the food sink to the ground. Previous owners said he would take worms and guppies. I am really trying to convert him to other foods.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I ran out brine shrimps and the local Petco was out too. I offered a few chopped pieces of tilapia but no luck of it eating. Here are some pics of sunken belly.

JayC74

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
PE Mysis shrimp is an excellent option for young dats. This stuff is kind of pricey but well worth it. Your plecs and what looks to be severums will mop it up too. it's high in omega fatty acids. It comes from the glacial lakes of Canada and is 10times healthier than brine or regular Mysis. I buy it from Ken'sfish.com. It will fill his tummy of nutritious stuff till he grows a bit more, then it might be easier to feed him bulkier foods

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Its looking a bit thin. If its had live food all its life... it will be hard to convert. Usually all small tigers will take frozEn bloodworms . I didnt read you have tried that.
If your that worried you dont want it to starbe any longer just fatten up with live river schrimp. Anything is better than nothing. But stay away from live guppies and fish.
Im sure it will eat in a few more weeks though.. if its showing interest in dead foods. .
Do try bloodworm first though.
Yo sure the plec is not going for it when lights are out?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
JAyC-are u referring to live mysis shrimps or frozen? I see frozen mysis shrimps are Petsmart. I'll give it a try.

Ade-Previously owner said he would take frozen blood worms. I personally never tried it since I think blood worms are messy and disgusting. It gives off a funky odor. I'll try live ghost shrimps next. I feed my pleco plenty of food so he won't get the urge to go after him. Plus I have a plastic pipe for my dat to hide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store