Papyrocranus Afer - pom pom knife, reticulated knife, aro knife, blah blah blah

neonvertigo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2005
H-Town, Texas
He IS up in everyones business, he is very inquisitive and you can see him thinking kinda like Dats but wiggly-er.
I'm in the process of weaning him onto massivore but he hits and spits right now... he will devour about an oz. of frozen krill though.
To anyone whos even thinking of getting one: DO IT. but keep a tight lid they are jumpy.
My first one. :( *whomp Whomp*

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
True, and it will test my theory that people on here are fair. Test, not prove ;) Look forward to seeing the pricing!

mrblah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
earth
True, and it will test my theory that people on here are fair. Test, not prove ;) Look forward to seeing the pricing!
what does fair have to do with anything? are you implying that fairness is somehow dependent upon what he prices the fish at?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I'm a little confused at that post.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
So what is fair? Lets set up a few scenarios.

crops, fruits are sown in the soil, and sun and water comes from mother nature. then farmed, harvested, sold to wholesalers, they run and operation, and make a profit, then sell to grocery stores, which make a profit, also the need to pay for overhead, electricity, rent, payroll, and is sold.

fish are free, given by mother nature as well, caught from the wild or bred in farms, fed, kept, boxed, packed, employees paid, and placed on an airplane, destined for wholesalers/importers around the world, then a profit to be added, employees paid, overhead, then sold to store, and the same repeats itself, then finally sold to end users.

There are always several middleman in any operation. water is free but you willingly pay for it in a bottle. Many things dictate the price of things, or fish. The scarcity of an item, the demand, the extrinsic value one puts on the item, inflation. You do realize that gas prices have gone up from 2000 to 2012 from $1.27 a gallon to $4.00 a gallon. So the tiger fish I got back in 2000 and sold for $75.00 I should in reality sell for $280.00 right? Also at the same time aircargo and freight goes up as well, fuel surcharges. I use to ship a box of fish to the east coast for $45.00, and now it costs me $75.00.

What is fair? when I import $6000.00 worth of fish, and 50% of them die during acclimation and shipping, and I still suffer the shipping costs of several thousand, and only sell about $1000.00 worth of fish, is that fair? People always think to make a quick buck by doing something they like, little do they realize what goes into all of this operation. You see hobbyists, vendors, come and go, even stores, and some are here to stay, carved out a niche in the hobby/market for themselves.

I feel bad sometimes for even selling something because its expensive, and I give out fish for free just to be nice. I had a customer's fish that died after a month of having it, and I told him that I'll do something to help take care of him next time around without him asking, is that fair?

What I love the most is after all that people ask for, and I make the trouble to import them, then tell me that they actually wanted something different, but similar, a bit bigger, a bit smaller, its not eating prepared food.

Do people not realize that its part of the hobby, part of the fun, part of the risk. When you buy bottled water, do you feel ripped off? Well you should, as Hanson's, coca-cola is laughing their way to the bank while selling you "water" which is free.

monsters2be

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2010
Freezing in Wisconsin
Hey Wes: My tigerfish I received last week arrived in great condition and was the exact size and species you stated, but it's just not what I expected...Just kidding - I am thrilled to have it! Your fish have always seemed very reasonably priced to me and I hope that the quote about fairness/pricing was just (an attempt at) humor.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Indeed, it was intended to be humorous.
It was just basically my way of saying I won't pay $20 for an apple. No offense intended! Looking forward to seeing these guys!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Hey Wes: My tigerfish I received last week arrived in great condition and was the exact size and species you stated, but it's just not what I expected...Just kidding - I am thrilled to have it! Your fish have always seemed very reasonably priced to me and I hope that the quote about fairness/pricing was just (an attempt at) humor.
good to hear, didn't hear from you, was a bit worried, then I forgot about it, lol

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Indeed, it was intended to be humorous.
It was just basically my way of saying I won't pay $20 for an apple. No offense intended! Looking forward to seeing these guys!
well $20.00 for an apple is a bit high, but its not an apple, as apples are found in every corner market, you follow the gist? Its more like a mountainous wild apple from Afghanistan, its large, red, sweet and sour, crispier than a fiji apple, everyone is talking about it. and now a shipment of 20 of them arrives in the US, how much is it worth now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store