Setting up my first saltie

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
That's what I meant NH3 not NH4, sorry it's been a very long month+. I didn't buy any but picked up two astrea snails as hitchhikers on my live rock. I don't plan on adding anything else until the cycle is fully complete and that will be a CUC from reefcleaners.org.
Ah good good. The astrea snails might not make it through the cycle. Snails are fairly picky on water conditions.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I was afraid of that, but on the other had I wasn't looking to own that type of snail anyways since they can fall and get stuck upside down. Since I am thinking about having some crabs they would probably become a quick lunch and a new home to them anyways. But if I can keep them alive then it's just a bonus since there won't be any other worthy hitchhikers on this rock since it's from a fowler tank.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
What do you think about the NH3 levels then, if the current snails probably won't survive should I just increase the level to help the cycle along. I did also pick up a bottle of Dr. Tim's to help the cycle along that I've been using if that makes a difference.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
What do you think about the NH3 levels then, if the current snails probably won't survive should I just increase the level to help the cycle along. I did also pick up a bottle of Dr. Tim's to help the cycle along that I've been using if that makes a difference.
I have personally never done a tank by adding ammonia so I'm not sure what to do in your case but I have seen ammonia levels in my tanks at 6-7ppm before the nitrite kicks in. I always do the prawn method.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I have personally never done a tank by adding ammonia so I'm not sure what to do in your case but I have seen ammonia levels in my tanks at 6-7ppm before the nitrite kicks in. I always do the prawn method.

Prawn or raw shrimp would be a good idea

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
2013-03-29_18-51-15_762.jpg

The diatoms are definitely present, and the hair algae that snuck along on the LR is going nuts too. I took my NH3 up to 5ppm yesterday and it's already down to 2ppm and my nitrates are building so it cycled a lot faster than I thought. I was going to wait another week to order my CUC but reefcleaners is having a sale that ends today, and they won't ship til the first so it will be either Wed or Thurs before they arrive.

2013-03-29_18-51-15_762.jpg

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Get scarlet hermits and dwarf blue leg hermits if you haven't already, they are pretty fun to watch.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store