What are you reading?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
"Armageddon" was such a film where it would seem everyone was going to die at the end, including the planet too! Double prizes!

But, as in must apocalyptic films, there's always some do gooders who save the day, and get the girl to boot, lol.
Yep...the sequel is likely in the works now...

It'll reveal that an even bigger, faster-moving asteroid is hurtling towards Earth...except this one is inhabited by a race of peaceful, friendly aliens who feel really, really bad about the whole affair. The problem will, of course, be solved by a highly-PC crew of racially-diverse, environmentally-aware, angst-ridden
2SLGBTQQIA+ 20-somethings who will stop at nothing to save the day in a sensitive, thoughtful, non-violent and inoffensive manner...you know, just the way things happen in real life...:clap

Reactions: esoxlucius

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I read, not as much as a used to, seldom have the time starting a business and working the hours that go with that, i also volunteer with an english setter rescue

One of my favorite authors would be Cormac McCarthy, read most of what he has written.

I'm currently reading the latest GOT book but that really means 20 pages here and there.

i generally enjoy social commentaries and historical look backs.

There are a few books i think everyone should read:

"The Peoples History of the United States" by Howard Zinn- if you want to know what actually happened.
"Can't Find my way home: America in the great stoned age 1945-2000" Martin Torgoff- if you like music and culture/counter culture

Bukowski's great!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yep...the sequel is likely in the works now...

It'll reveal that an even bigger, faster-moving asteroid is hurtling towards Earth...except this one is inhabited by a race of peaceful, friendly aliens who feel really, really bad about the whole affair. The problem will, of course, be solved by a highly-PC crew of racially-diverse, environmentally-aware, angst-ridden
2SLGBTQQIA+ 20-somethings who will stop at nothing to save the day in a sensitive, thoughtful, non-violent and inoffensive manner...you know, just the way things happen in real life...:clap
You need to pitch that idea to Michael Bay, the director of the original! No doubt he's been wracking his brains over the years as to how he can continue the saga.

And i'm sure he'll be delighted to cut you in on the box office takings, which I'm sure will amount to.......nothing! Lol.

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
20-somethings who will stop at nothing to save the day in a sensitive, thoughtful, non-violent and inoffensive manner...you know, just the way things happen in real life.
:ROFL::ROFL::headbang2

Yep, I work in academia, and I am constantly being lectured by 18-22 year olds on how things happen in real life! It is almost impossible to keep track of all the issues the young people hold to be sooo important. And I am always one stray comment away from being fired. I have learned to keep my mouth shut, as they rule the day and they know it.

Reactions: Caperguy99

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
:ROFL::ROFL::headbang2

Yep, I work in academia, and I am constantly being lectured by 18-22 year olds on how things happen in real life! It is almost impossible to keep track of all the issues the young people hold to be sooo important. And I am always one stray comment away from being fired. I have learned to keep my mouth shut, as they rule the day and they know it.
I worked about as far from the world of academia as it's possible to get...and one of the benefits was that expressing an opinion was not something that was overzealously regulated or controlled. As long as you were capable and did your job...you were fairly safe, although in the more recent years that was perhaps less true than previously. As a result, I never really got particularly good at keeping my mouth shut...but I am working on it...

Happens here all the time as well. A member will confidently state that he/she has "been doing this for a long time". Glancing at the profile shows that, by my standard of reference, they haven't been doing anything for a "long time"...including breathing.

Ommmmmmmmmm....... :)

• Haha
Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I extracted my dusty old dead kindle from a bedroom drawer recently and charged it up and wiped it down. I was browsing through my reading history and there are, surprisingly, a lot of books on there. I didn't realise just how much reading I used to do.

One topic I have always been fascinated with is North Korea. Various books have come out over the years and I've read maybe half a dozen or so. We've all heard stories about the brutal regime that governs this country, but to read about first hand accounts of people who've been in their concentration camps is truly something else.

One such book, quite apt really, given the nature of our forum, is "Aquariums of Pyongyang". The writer of the book, who was only a nine year old child at the time, and his whole family, were sent to such a camp. They'd done nothing wrong, completely innocent. Their only crime was that they were related to someone who had spoke out about the party who ran the country.

That is how it works over there. Punishment by association. It is a brilliant read and will leave you aghast, open mouthed at what they had to endure. I've started reading it again. I can highly recommend this book.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store