What are you reading?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Funnily enough a few people have said to read Post Office,
Well there you go then, how many heads up do you need, lol.

On the face of it you'd have to wonder how any author, as good as they are, could write a book about working in a post office, and not make it boring! But I could hardly put my kindle down once I'd started reading it.

The main character in post office is a guy called Henry Chinaski, but basically it's Bukowski. Chinaski is his alter ego! He does this in a lot of his books.

Needless to say, bars, racetracks and women all have a big part to play, lol.

I didn't know about the "Barfly" film. Why am I not surprised that it was called Barfly, lol.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
So i was thinking of what to read next and i went back through this thread for ideas. That led me to the idea of listing a few all time favorites, not in any specific order, to maybe inspire others looking for something different.

Moby Dick, may seem like a crusty old classic if you've never tried it but quite a fun adventure, one of my all time favorites.

The dark tower series by Stephen King. It takes awhile and really picks up momentum in the second and third books but if you can get thorough them all it's well worth the journey.

Cannery row by John Steinbeck. A fun and humorous tale about friends and neighbors during the depression.

The stranger by Albert camus.

The fungi from yuggoth by hp lovecraft

Cell 8 by roslund and hellstrom

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

That's all i got off the top of my head that i can say i thoroughly enjoyed, if more come to mind I'll add them later. I'd love to see what others have to share.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm not a regular reader by any stretch, though I should be. There are some classic books out there, old and new, that are classed as books to read before you die type books, true classics.

There are various online lists compiled by literary experts. Some of the lists vary slightly but many of the classic titles are repeated through all the lists which shows that they are true heavyweights. For the record I haven't read any of them, not a single word, lol.

However, I was browsing through one such list a few days ago and came across a very famous book. I've heard of it but that's it. The book? "Three men in a boat" by Jerome K Jerome, a very famous piece of work about three guys who take a journey on a canal barge.

I downloaded it on my kindle and started reading it. It's an old book, 1800's, and the language can be a bit oldy worldly, but I'm absolutely loving it. It is extremely laugh out loud funny and I can see why it is regarded as a classic.

Am I going to eventually read all these old classics on the list? I doubt it very much but I may try a few others.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Nice! I should start scanning some of these lists, theres a lot I've been meaning to get around to someday but when it's time to pick my next read I can never think of them

Reactions: esoxlucius

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I always have dozens of books on my "I gotta read that!" list, and usually wind up reading something I have never heard of just because it leaped to my attention just as I was beginning to look for something to read. :)

I also find myself re-reading some of my favourites, sometimes on multiple occasions. But...when you do that you are possibly missing out on other new stuff that you "should" read...so many books, so little time...

I'm currently re-reading a series of books by Roger Zelazny, the Chronicles of Amber. I've read them several times already, but a friend commented that he had just started them, which reminded me how much I enjoyed them the very first time I read them probably 30 years ago...and they're right there on my Kobo...:)

I'm also working my way through a bunch of books I picked up recently by Craig Johnson, an author I have intended to investigate for some time now. I was quite a fan of the "Longmire" TV series, which is based upon these books. They are not the sort of escapist fantasy stuff towards which I usually gravitate, but I am enjoying them thoroughly.

Just last night I also started one of the classics of science fiction, by Philip K. Dick. It's called...I kid you not..."Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"...but movie goers may know it by the title of the film adaptation: "Blade Runner". Dick has written a bunch of novels that were turned into movies, some very well known: Total Recall, Minority Report, etc. I've always enjoyed his work, so finally reading this one after all these years was a treat. Escapism at its finest. :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's called...I kid you not..."Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"...but movie goers may know it by the title of the film adaptation: "Blade Runner".
I've never seen Blade Runner, and certainly not read that oddly titled book! So I just have to ask the burning question, but of course you knew it was coming anyway.....Do Androids indeed actually dream of electric sheep!!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Why ask me? You should know; you're the...

...oh, wait...you're not an android...you're...

...a Bot!

Reported! :)

Lol, it's a good book if you like science fiction with a slightly metaphysical twist to it. :)

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store