What are you reading?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Anyone read anything interesting lately?
I have fallen out of the reading habit lately so any suggestions to get me back into it would be good.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Anyone read anything interesting lately?
I have fallen out of the reading habit lately so any suggestions to get me back into it would be good.
I'm totally with you, I don't read anywhere near as much as I should and, like you, I'm looking for a bit of inspiration, a bit of direction.

In the past, rather than just read one off books, I tried to go the "author" route. Pick an author who has written multiple books and then you have plenty to go at should you like their "genre" or "style".

There are literally millions to go at and it's quite daunting unless you get good solid recommendations from a regular reader, and then of course they might have a completely different taste to you anyway!!

I think jjohnwm jjohnwm is one of the most well read members of the forum. Maybe he'll give us both the direction we need, though I dread to think what crazy worm hole he'll send us both down, lol.

P.S. He actually has a library in his home, I mean WTF. You've just got to respect and admire any dude who has their own personal library, lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I think jjohnwm jjohnwm is one of the most well read members of the forum. Maybe he'll give us both the direction we need, though I dread to think what crazy worm hole he'll send us both down, lol.

P.S. He actually has a library in his home, I mean WTF. You've just got to respect and admire any dude who has their own personal library, lol.
Aaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!! :ROFL: :lol3:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Esox....hahahahahahahahahahahaha...but to be "well-read"...hahahahahahahahaa...one actually needs to learn stuff from their readings....hahahahaha....

My "library" exists mainly because I am too cheap to give away books after I read them, and if I like them I want to be able to re-read them in future. Besides...using the spare bedroom as a library discourages guests...always a plus, in my opinion.

I read a lot, but the vast majority of it is sheer escapist fiction. I learn nothing from it, that's the main goal. It's like that great line from Seinfeld: If I wanted a long boring story with no point to it...I've got my life! :)

And the weird thing is that now I am retired...and I read much less than I did while in the work force. Back then, I read during breaks, through my lunch period...and much of the time when I was supposed to be working. But now, I have way too many silly projects and distractions, so my reading time is way, way down.

I'd never presume to suggest that this book or that author will be to anyone else's tastes, because I usually end up being wrong about it. But, I'll occasionally recommend a particularly good movie. For example, Esox...I recently saw a flick called "Predestination". You should check it out...I think you'll enjoy it! :):devil:

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
My sister bought me Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver for my birthday, so it’s next on my list. I guess it won the Pulitzer last year.

About a boy growing up in Appalachia, coming of age, dealing with poverty, and so on. Apparently it’s good!

Has anyone here read it?

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Haven't read that one, currently in working the the wheel of time series, like jjohnwm said, pure escapism, I'm kinda new to the fantasy genre but it's a decent storyline, decent characters, and there's fifteen books or so, that should keep me busy a few months. And I've learned nothing from it...

Just finished working stiff not long ago, nonfiction about three life of a forensic medical examine in nyc, it was good, interesting, and funny but if listening on my lunch break id often have to switch to fiction, a bit too detailed to enjoy with my ham and salami sandwich..

Reactions: Caperguy99

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I reread this thread looking for some inspiration and was impressed y the pics of jjohnwm jjohnwm home library, I went to my local library and got an old Jack Reacher book and Adrian edmonsons autobigraphy ( esoxlucius esoxlucius is probably the only member who knows who that is) Nothing too taxing for the old brain.
My main issue is all the “easy” read books I like to read all seem the same now, true crime, war or rock star scandals all are a bit “read one, read them all” so I need to branch out a bit more.
The last book i read that really stands out was “the shards” by the same guy that wrote American psycho., a sort of serial killer/high school 1980s mystery .It was entertaining but a lot of very explicit scenes of sex and violence that won’t suit anyone too squeamish. It seemed a bit unnecessary but was a good story that kept me guessing

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I reread this thread looking for some inspiration and was impressed y the pics of jjohnwm jjohnwm home library, I went to my local library and got an old Jack Reacher book and Adrian edmonsons autobigraphy ( esoxlucius esoxlucius is probably the only member who knows who that is) Nothing too taxing for the old brain.
My main issue is all the “easy” read books I like to read all seem the same now, true crime, war or rock star scandals all are a bit “read one, read them all” so I need to branch out a bit more.
The last book i read that really stands out was “the shards” by the same guy that wrote American psycho., a sort of serial killer/high school 1980s mystery .It was entertaining but a lot of very explicit scenes of sex and violence that won’t suit anyone too squeamish. It seemed a bit unnecessary but was a good story that kept me guessing
Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is another one that the fits the bill. I remember specifically sitting in a Cuban airport on the way home from vacation reading one of the final chapters, and the events were so shocking I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it. Never had that reaction to a book before.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Adrian edmonsons autobigraphy
Yes, I bet his autobiography was a bit colourful, especially if most of it covered his mad bad days of the young ones, lol. He's very mellow these days, age tends to do that.

I met him a couple of years ago in a local pub. He was travelling the country doing a bit of a documentary on traditional pubs and such, and he visited one not far away from our house.

After chatting with a guy on my cycling forum a while ago now, he put me onto a guy called Charles Bukowski, I think I mentioned him way back in this thread. I'd never heard of this author but he highly recommended a book called "Post Office", which I downloaded on my kindle.

Bukovski is a troubled soul to say the least. A heavy smoking, heavy gambling alcoholic, he died years ago, and it all comes through in his style of writing. I loved Post Office, and subsequently downloaded a few other books by him, all of which were very good.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is another one that the fits the bill. I remember specifically sitting in a Cuban airport on the way home from vacation reading one of the final chapters, and the events were so shocking I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it. Never had that reaction to a book before.
Thats his name, i couldnt remember it yesterday, it was a good book but it was like it was trying to be shocking just to see how far it could go with the descriptions of sex and dead bodies. Its sort of a fake autobiography of his school days where a serial killer is on the loose and it might be the new student at his school.
I would recomend it if you like his books, you would obviously know what you are getting yourself in for if you start reading it.

Yes, I bet his autobiography was a bit colourful, especially if most of it covered his mad bad days of the young ones, lol. He's very mellow these days, age tends to do that.

I met him a couple of years ago in a local pub. He was travelling the country doing a bit of a documentary on traditional pubs and such, and he visited one not far away from our house.

After chatting with a guy on my cycling forum a while ago now, he put me onto a guy called Charles Bukowski, I think I mentioned him way back in this thread. I'd never heard of this author but he highly recommended a book called "Post Office", which I downloaded on my kindle.

Bukovski is a troubled soul to say the least. A heavy smoking, heavy gambling alcoholic, he died years ago, and it all comes through in his style of writing. I loved Post Office, and subsequently downloaded a few other books by him, all of which were very good.
I havent started it yet but i imagine its a wild ride, especially the 80s era. I havent seen if he has been up to anything for years, last time i saw anything about him was when Rik Mayall died and he was on the news a lot.
Funnily enough a few people have said to read Post Office, i should give it a try. I saw a movie about Bukowski called Barfly years ago with Mickey Rourke. I cant remeber much of it as it was so long ago but you should check it out if you like his books. I mainly remeber lots of scenes in bars and lots of stumbling down dark streets swearing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store