What direction should I go? Help me decide please!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
BATF-Brevis African Tiger Fish.....I've been thinking about a non cichlid African setup myself.I like the two Distichodus-lusosso and sexfaciatus as centerpiece fish even though they can grow to a nice size.My all time favorite knife fish,Papirocranus afer,which I already have,should go well with them..a few of my likes lol but worth a look.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
you could make it awesome mate... i personally am fed up with the regular bare tanks full off dat, aro, bass and rays... what about throwing in a big group of target buttikoferi or mozambique to keep him busy? maybe a nile perch and african lung could be thrown into the mix, african snakehead but i guess you are usa? i think it would be awesome... what about a kampango catfish, holy grail of african cats imo!-)

just googled and africa has the niger stingray and pin cushion ray if you can get them?

oh and maybe a pair of emperor cichlids, another option!
sooooo (i have to much spare time lol);

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Being a cichlid person, I was going to suggest (as the poster above has, with the photo) Boulengerochromis microlepis. Because of your 510 gal size, you may be actually able to accommodate them, unlike most of us here. And though it is a rift lake species, it transcends what would to me at least be, the norm.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
That ray in the photos looks really cool and unusual - so you'd kinda get a traditional look with a really unusual twist...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
you could make it awesome mate... i personally am fed up with the regular bare tanks full off dat, aro, bass and rays... what about throwing in a big group of target buttikoferi or mozambique to keep him busy? maybe a nile perch and african lung could be thrown into the mix, african snakehead but i guess you are usa? i think it would be awesome... what about a kampango catfish, holy grail of african cats imo!-)

just googled and africa has the niger stingray and pin cushion ray if you can get them?

oh and maybe a pair of emperor cichlids, another option!
Same here, bare tanks with datnoid, peacock bass, Arowana, and Rays are REALLY boring. And since 90% of these fish kept are "growouts" and the big ones are not even full size. But then, the other 10% are done right. But all the bad tanks and fish are so boring that the good ones seem boring when u see them. DO AN AFRICAN SETUP!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Option 1 with Billy, a growing goonch, 2 or 3 30+inch southamerican aros or maybe replace 1 of those with an african aro if u like, soon to be fully developed lepto elongata's (which i would have a tough time letting go) and adding a group of 7+inch clown loaches (which aren't too hard to find) would be anything but "typical" i think. Might have to check how much space is left for rays giving the aquascape you may have. I would go no rays if it was up to me considering the other bottom dwellers...Nothing against option 2, i'm just biased towards the option 1 fish;)

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Option 1 with Billy, a growing goonch, 2 or 3 30+inch southamerican aros or maybe replace 1 of those with an african aro if u like, soon to be fully developed lepto elongata's (which i would have a tough time letting go) and adding a group of 7+inch clown loaches (which aren't too hard to find) would be anything but "typical" i think. Might have to check how much space is left for rays giving the aquascape you may have. I would go no rays if it was up to me considering the other bottom dwellers...Nothing against option 2, i'm just biased towards the option 1 fish;)
At least someone agrees with me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store