What direction should I go? Help me decide please!

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Don't forget Fire Eels! They range across Africa too! BATF, Afrowana, Giant fire eel, few distichodus lusosso, aaaaand done! Personally I think a setup like that would look awesome. But I love wide bar silver dollars and would put in every tank I could so that always messes up my biotope plans lol. Maybe a at the right size a few large odoe pike could be introduced?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
option 2 You could add some dolphin mormyrids. They look awesome and get around 4 feet.
this is norbert's dolphin.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Wow!

Thanks for all the input! Looks like going African is probably my best bet. I'm starting to form a plan in my head for things I like. I do like fire eels, I just didn't know that they were African. For some reason I always thought that they were South American. :/

I like the big mormyrids, but I think that I will probably avoid them for the same reason as I'd avoid emperor cichlids: I don't want anything to be a threat to Billy. I feel that the bottom dwellers are going to be safe and won't threaten billy, but I'm wanting to be very careful with fish that will actually be in the water column. Billy will be the only big fish swimming mid-level I think. I do have the ability to maintain the community while having various crown jewels in the tank as the main fish die of old age. This tank should keep me going for a long time.

I'm really liking some of the tilapia and Distichodus I'm seeing. I'm gonna have to do a lot more reading up on this, but things seem to be coming along better than I had hoped. :)

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
option 2 You could add some dolphin mormyrids. They look awesome and get around 4 feet.
this is norbert's dolphin.
I meant 3 feet not four
Yeah but there isn't a lot of success with these, especially in a comm

aw. what about Mormyrus rume rume. They get 3 feet and according to fish base they eat insect and larvae. Earthworms and bloodworms and pellets could easily replace those.
hear is a picture.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
^I like that guy, he looks like a ginormous elephant nose (which I am well aware is a mormyrid). I fully intend to acquire some mormyrids for this setup, just not the big, bad, predatory ones. Good find man! :thumbsup:

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
good stuff, i'd steer away from distichodus sexfasciatus tho as they are pure evil, not sure on the other species of distichodus tho! defo a cheap target fish to keep the brevis busy tho imo.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Wow!

Thanks for all the input! Looks like going African is probably my best bet. I'm starting to form a plan in my head for things I like. I do like fire eels, I just didn't know that they were African. For some reason I always thought that they were South American. :/
Same here but I checked seriouslyfish.com and it said they inhabit both Africa and Asia lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store