What do you do with outgrown fishes?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
That's why it is important to reasearch fish before you buy. This a a far more common issue than we even hear about and we hear about it quite a bit. People buy on impulse, are uninformed or just don't care at the time. The grim reality is most of the fish bought under these curcumstances don't live long enough to out grow the tank or become horribly stunted and die a premature death.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
This is why I am in the middle of building a 700 gal tank. Don't buy fish you can't house! Don't buy fish with an "I will get a bigger tank when I need it" plan. Best laid plans go bad. I didn't start getting baby giants until I started on the big tank.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I see the bad end of this on a daily basis. People expect zoos/aquariums/stores to take over sized fish off their hands. They can't/won't, then owners get upset like it's the fault of the places telling them 'no'. Next best option is to sell/give away - Aquabid, Craigslist etc....

Responsible fishkeeping.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I was talking to a zoo keeper, he says he gets calls weekly to take red tail cats and pacu he can't take.
My rule is, if in the end, I can't bring myself to eat it, I don't get it.
+1 sad thing is that those people usually then release those fishes in rivers or lakes nearby..

And agree to that - dont get it if it doesnt live happy life in aquarium, meaning lots of free space :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Well maybe if folks stopped playing Angry Birds, Words With Friends, hit the pause button on texting, tweeting and facespacing and actually used their smartphones to research a little, this problem would be a lot less than it is.

I can access about 150,000 articles(slight exaggeration) on any species I want to keep while standing in front of the fish at the lfs. Buying online makes this even easier. Phones, computers, tablets, and on and on..... Free Internet here, local hotspot there, 3G 4G....Google, Bing, Siri.....

Years ago (yes I'm this old lol) there was no Internet, so you carried your butt to the library or asked tons of keepers about certain species. Everyone makes mistakes, but the guy in front of me in line at Petsmart buying the 20 gallon and 6 cute little pacu is on the phone.....😳

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
I'm not sure I'd want to eat the fish in my tanks. I'm not too sure about the meat quality after being in non-natural conditions their whole life and being exposed to seachem prime and possibly other chemicals.

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
I'm not sure I'd want to eat the fish in my tanks. I'm not too sure about the meat quality after being in non-natural conditions their whole life and being exposed to seachem prime and possibly other chemicals.
Agreed.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I wish those fish were a little harder to get.

My LFS had a bunch RTC for $10 or so. My wife, not knowing anything about them thought they were really cute. How many people buy them thinking the same thing. If they were $100 they would be less appealing. And if you spent $$ on the proper space and the food bill to raise one, you could spend $100 on the fish itself.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Well maybe if folks stopped playing Angry Birds, Words With Friends, hit the pause button on texting, tweeting and facespacing and actually used their smartphones to research a little, this problem would be a lot less than it is.

I can access about 150,000 articles(slight exaggeration) on any species I want to keep while standing in front of the fish at the lfs. Buying online makes this even easier. Phones, computers, tablets, and on and on..... Free Internet here, local hotspot there, 3G 4G....Google, Bing, Siri.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This, almost every time I'm in the store I'm on my phone doing research on what I'm looking at unless I'm absolutely positive I already know enough to make an informed decision. The information is just too redily available now to not have an excuse for making a poor decision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store