What do you do with outgrown fishes?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'm not sure I'd want to eat the fish in my tanks. I'm not too sure about the meat quality after being in non-natural conditions their whole life and being exposed to seachem prime and possibly other chemicals.
I'm sure nearly all fish from aquaculture are not free of chemicals....

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It's not uncommon for someone who had fish that got too big for the aquarium and they let the fish go into rivers and lakes. I can't tell you how many times I found koi, goldfish and dying plecos out in the lakes while I am working.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
It's easy, DO NOT BUY WHAT YOU CANNOT KEEP FOR LIFE, DONE!

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I can't say I don't keep fish that can outgrow my tank. Because I have fish that can potentially outgrow my tank. But those fish I keep grow really really slow and most likely will never reach there full size in captivity. But RTC do grow big fast is why I don't keep this fish. The responsible thing if you have it is put it down. But better you just not buy them.

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
I'm sure nearly all fish from aquaculture are not free of chemicals....
I don't eat those either. I only eat organic, and know where all of my meat comes from. People need to be more attentive to what they put in their bodies.

I actually had someone laugh at me because I refused a free McDonalds meal at one point. What a sad country we live in that people care so little about the quality of what they put into their bodies.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Letting fish go, is not good for the environment, and in many cases, against the law. Eat um or don't keep um.
Wild may not be better in terms of health, there are many places contaminated with PCBs, petroleum products, or other dangerous chemicals, that you wouldn't be in your tank.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Letting fish go, is not good for the environment, and in many cases, against the law. Eat um or don't keep um.
Wild may not be better in terms of health, there are many places contaminated with PCBs, petroleum products, or other dangerous chemicals, that you wouldn't be in your tank.
Exactly. You'd be amazed at what we pull from the waterways here in Florida both fish and reptile.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Exactly. You'd be amazed at what we pull from the waterways here in Florida both fish and reptile.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Or around/inside the cities. The lakes and the ponds inside the cities are literally full of exotics.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
^So instead of going to a LFS, you could just fish them out and put it in the tank right? (Well I suppose no one would just do that easily, dunno about regulations regarding your place)

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
RTC, would be a-ok for a meal, I suppose if you really have no choice, seen many people doing it, what's the difference between a fishpond tilapia and a RTC on a tank? You know what you fed on it, and basically here in our place, some people's waste (literally human's) can be food for the tilapia as being mass produced. I know it's gross... that's why I'm vegan on Tuesdays btw (out of topic and literally a lie...)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store