What do you do with outgrown fishes?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
For me it's one thing to eat an animal I've raised with the intent of eating.. and one I've raised as a pet... Just seems.. wrong to me. And anyone who says they haven't ever gotten a fish they couldn't 100% house for life I'm calling BS on right now... we've all learned this lesson or are in the process of learning at as you read this thread and others... And not being able to house covers a vast array of "husbandry" not just size... Most people though make the mistake of getting species that will out-grow their tanks.

One of the few exceptions to keeping my mouth shut at lfs I will call BS when I hear "It will only grow to the size of it's tank" spouted off by someone trying to make a sale.. and intentionally kill a fish.

Of course I've gotten fish I couldn't house for life at the time... I've either upgraded their tanks needs as I learned more.. or I returned them to the LFS ( If you can't afford it you can't afford it, and lessons are learned not just from our success' but failures) It's not always Ideal but it's the honest truth.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
^So instead of going to a LFS, you could just fish them out and put it in the tank right? (Well I suppose no one would just do that easily, dunno about regulations regarding your place)
The problem with this is that fish is already too big for the tank, tho I managed to rehome a lucky pleco that was caught in a lake near here. (it was only 9 inches long)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
RTC, would be a-ok for a meal, I suppose if you really have no choice, seen many people doing it, what's the difference between a fishpond tilapia and a RTC on a tank? You know what you fed on it, and basically here in our place, some people's waste (literally human's) can be food for the tilapia as being mass produced. I know it's gross... that's why I'm vegan on Tuesdays btw (out of topic and literally a lie...)
I've heard of some aquaculture uses animal manure (mostly pigs/cows) to the fish that we eat. That's why I don't eat tilapia, farm-raised hybrid stripers and farm-raised catfish very much.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
dont worry about those large fish because there are people out there with huge tanks that would pay big bucks for really nice huge fish. The key is to get something that increases with value when it gets big, like a red tail guarime or black arowana nobody wants a giant pacu

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
dont worry about those large fish because there are people out there with huge tanks that would pay big bucks for really nice huge fish. The key is to get something that increases with value when it gets big, like a red tail guarime or black arowana nobody wants a giant pacu
And they still dumping these big fish into the waters....not mentioned that not too many people have these huge tanks.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Well none of my fish are too big for my 625 gallon tank but I have a lot of them so when they get full size I may have to thin them out some. I will have to check with my local zoo and see what they will take. Or I will have to build a 1200 gallon pond in my house :)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Baltimore aquiam will buy rtc SNC off of ppl

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
How did you find out about THAT! That is obviously not true as they only have one massive RTC in their amazon tank...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store