What exactly is a 'Mantilla' ray..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Just curious.. wasn't trying to derail the other thread (sorry Zoodiver)

Where do they come from?
How are they distinguished?
Availability?

I have seen dozens of types of 'mantilla', just curious of what makes them Mantilla.. aqualog lists 4 variations.

Alot of those designer asian hybrid rays look like Mantilla.. Alot of unidentified rays do too.. How can you tell them apart?

From what I've noticed about their availability and the number of 'random' variations, that they could be a hybrid harvest from the wild? Just a theory..

If anyone has information on these guys.. I would especially like to understand who came up with the name Mantilla, where it came from, etc.. is it a spanish term? Does it mean something? or did some exporter just make it up?

Thanks in advance everyone..

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
I think Richard Ross came up with it.. I may be wrong. But if this is the ray Im thinking of. He named after a guy in FL... maybe he will chime in

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
Miles;1343282; said:
Maybe I should e-mail him? Ray777 has an awesome Mantilla :)
Thanks Miles. I too think that maybe Mantilla rays are just natural wild hybrids that were caught and shipped.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Miles;1343282; said:
Maybe I should e-mail him? Ray777 has an awesome Mantilla :)
Yeah that Mantilla he had was Wow..

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
potamotrygon;1343724; said:
mantilla's look like tiger x motoro
I have heard that too. But as far as I know there is no proof of that in captivity. That is just a guess of a wild hybrid crossing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store