What exactly is a 'Mantilla' ray..

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
cichlaguapote;1343782; said:
Yeah that Mantilla he had was Wow..
Has... I am sure thats what you meant. But I was trying to sell her and decided to just keep her. So I moved her to my other 210 all my herself for now, until I find a nice male Marble or something else to try ;)

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
ray777;1343847; said:
Has... I am sure thats what you meant. But I was trying to sell her and decided to just keep her. So I moved her to my other 210 all my herself for now, until I find a nice male Marble or something else to try ;)
Haha.. no I knew it was for sale and saw you updated your list and it wasn't on it so figured you sold it. Glad you kept it. Thing is nice.. :)

rayman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Germany
Hi Miles,

Richard Ross gave this name to some rays he got from man who worked for an importer in Florida, his name was Jose Mantilla. In the Aqualog P-numbers the mantillas are the rays Richard got from this source.

There are many so called mantillas, some may be hybrids.
But there is a river in Brazil where rays live that look very close to the mantilla ray. And these are no hybrids. Time will tell if this is a new species.

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
rayman;1344685; said:
Hi Miles,

Richard Ross gave this name to some rays he got from man who worked for an importer in Florida, his name was Jose Mantilla. In the Aqualog P-numbers the mantillas are the rays Richard got from this source.

There are many so called mantillas, some may be hybrids.
But there is a river in Brazil where rays live that look very close to the mantilla ray. And these are no hybrids. Time will tell if this is a new species.

Yeah, Thats what I thought, I remember him saying that. Might you know what part of what river?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i was told before hybrid and somebody else told me they were there own species... only real problem is is we all only have opinions cause nobody knows 100%.... maybe ill get lucky and my female tiger will breed with my male marbled and we will find out in a few years ;)

endi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2006
toronto, Canada
i picked this ray up i was told its a mantilla correct me if i'm wrong

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
So I have seen hundreds of so-called Mantilla ray variations..

No one seems to know the collection location..

I see hundreds of Hybrids that look just like Mantilla rays..

Is there any other distinguishing characteristics, such as eye placement, disc shape, etc, that distinguish these rays from so-called Hybrids?

Or is it all just a matter of opinion and no one really has any clue since it was a common name given to an unidentified ray??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store