What exactly is a 'Mantilla' ray..

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
Miles;1360824; said:
So I have seen hundreds of so-called Mantilla ray variations..

No one seems to know the collection location..

I see hundreds of Hybrids that look just like Mantilla rays..

Is there any other distinguishing characteristics, such as eye placement, disc shape, etc, that distinguish these rays from so-called Hybrids?

Or is it all just a matter of opinion and no one really has any clue since it was a common name given to an unidentified ray??

Well put.... THATS that big question..... Anyone have a clue? I wonder what our breeders across the pond will have to say....

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
And what about this ray.... the pic is from a German Breeders site.., forget his name... But they explained what type of cross it was?? What does everybody think...??? i really like this ray.....

HybM.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I say it's a Henei/Marble Motoro cross.. from what I've read about asian hybridization of rays and randomized offspring morphs..

I am starting to lean more towards 'Mantilla' being a common name, Very much like TEACUP, given to a ray with a scribbled pattern..

Although some 'Mantilla' rays are harvested out of a certain location, which no one is aware of (Dr. Ross didn't reply to my email :().. apparently they get smaller, but no one can seem to confirm that.. Many, many hybrids look like 'Mantilla', but there is no way to tell them apart..

Unless someone comes forth with some great info.. distinguishing this as a separate species.. using collection locale, body structure, etc as reference points.. (not just opinion)

IMO, it's just a 'term' for a group of unidentified rays with a sporadic marbled pattern..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
rayman;1344685; said:
But there is a river in Brazil where rays live that look very close to the mantilla ray.
Andreas,

Do you know what river this is specifically?

Do you have any opinions about 'Mantilla' rays that you can share?

Regards,

Miles

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
ray777;1361535; said:
Motoro Pearl?
Most of the Motoro/Pearl hybrids I've seen look like nice Marble Motoros.. ask Rudy. :ROFL:

However, the offspring can be really randomized when you start hybridizing..

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
ray777;1361577; said:
http://www.potamotrygon.nl/raykeeper_tp/t.p. pic3.htm

What do you think about this one? Looks close to that one. But obviously the link is a juvenille and the above pic looks more like an adult.

I really like that as well....., it seems to have more defined spots compared to the other... I cant wait until I can try to breed rays like this.... couple years and I will be able....

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
jdepasqu2;1361607; said:
I really like that as well....., it seems to have more defined spots compared to the other... I cant wait until I can try to breed rays like this.... couple years and I will be able....
Do you think that maybe the link I put up is more of a juvenille and your pic you put up is more of an adult? Maybe explaining the pattern change? Yes breeding and cross breeding make some very interesting rays. ;)

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
The closer I look at the two pics, I think it is actually the same ray just two different stages in its life. Look very close to the dot patterns in both pics. Doesn't change form or shape just gets color change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store