Why Do People Only Keep 1 Type Of Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divasen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2010
IN MY TANK
Hi, I got a mix of fish, polys sa/ca cichlids, African, catfish my goal is too keep every fish possible, however I hav a fav which is polys

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally keep several types of fish, because of how the particular species look or behavior :)

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Because you can't have just one... I am an oddball junky and I know I have an obsession... but I'm stearing away from the giants as having to take-down our big set-up has been heart breaking. Bigger the fish the more expensive to house... before kids we had a lot of fish of different species.. now we're down-sizing to a few select fish between my hubby and I and a lot of its based offa ease of care and requirements not just how much we adore it. Our kids are def worth it, but it still stinks. we're down to a 40B community in our living room w/ a knife as my "secret oddball" amid the guppies and tetras our daughter loves, our aba aba in the basmenet who will need at least one more upgrade before all is said and done. and Monday we have a Carapo coming in for our 75 who will graduate to the aba's tank once he upgrades. the rest of our fishys are going to a new home =(

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've kept many fish over the years. After so many, you just realize what you can afford to keep and/or determine that you like certain personalities/traits in certain fish. You can't really say that CA/SA is "one type of fish" since there are so many variety in size, temperament, care requirements, etc. Same with African Cichlids. It's still pretty broad. If you're talking about someone keeping a tank that is purely Frontosa or all Endlicheri or just a tank filled with nothing, but Red Cherry Shrimp, or even a tank with a single Dovii, there can be many different reasons why. Dovii are probably one of the most aggressive Cichlids and tend not to play well with others, Red Cherry Shrimp will more likely be eaten by anything, but small fish, a pure Frontosa tank can make a stunning display, but I haven't really seen people who keep Polys with just strictly Poly in their tanks (unless for breeding purposes).

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
It depends on my plans for the tank. i've done communities mixed and cichlid only and species only. I have a frontosa tank that is species only mius one syno cat (from the same lake). I did this because I wanted a breeding colony and other fish can disrupt that. They do best in colonies and with eachother so it just made sense to go species only and I like the look. Same went for my shell dweller tank. I've had mixed african tanks before with multiple species from the same lake for more of a community. I have also done african/sa/ca mixes. On the other hand I have also kept cichlids, catfish and datnoids from different areas in random mix tanks. Just depends on the fish, what I wan to do and the look I am going for with the tank.

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I love Central American Cichlids because my mom had them when I was growing up. I love big aggressive fish. I tried african cichlids because of all the beautiful colors and I completely hated them, they just aren't my type of fish. I have also tried tropicals and coldwater fish and I wasn't too fond of those either. So I guess some people like a specific type and some just like to mix it up.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Over time you can mix different kinds of fish and sometimes you will get lucky and they won't kill each other and other times you have to learn the hard way. It's kinda like the saying in football, "Any Given Sunday". Here is a video I just took of my tank...clearly I don't discriminate...[video=youtube_share;xu_R-48BhxY]http://youtu.be/xu_R-48BhxY[/video]

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Another odd ball here we have a little bit of everything. Bichirs, RTGG, CA/SA, guppies, African cichlids, loaches and more even plants we never get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store