Your thoughts on breeding BATMAN rays?

BATMAN rays breeding?

• Yes, lets learn more and see what happens!

Votes: 85 57.0%
  • No, we dont need this in the ray industry!

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Depends on the offspring created....

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters

bfhslilred93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2008
new england
try and see what the outcome is....

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
dingoofus;3425169; said:
Why not than mr genius? Be more constructive with your feedback.
The survival rate of a batman ray in the wild is next to none. This is due to predation and competition for food. The limited surface area of a batman ray disc causes it to hold fewer electroreceptors along with perhaps more difficulties in regulating its temperature, furthur adding to their disadvatages in the wild and challenges in a home aquarium.

Batman rays tend to be more prone to injury due to their limbs easily getting caught among any driftwood, plants, etc.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
cjfrontlovr;3425455; said:
i wonder if theres been any captured in the wild or if its something only happening in home aquaria?:popcorn:
A while back anders had a link he shared from his importer that showed some wild batmans, all were VERY skinny.

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
Gr8KarmaSF;3425566; said:
The survival rate of a batman ray in the wild is next to none. This is due to predation and competition for food. The limited surface area of a batman ray disc causes it to hold fewer electroreceptors along with perhaps more difficulties in regulating its temperature, furthur adding to their disadvatages in the wild and challenges in a home aquarium.

Batman rays tend to be more prone to injury due to their limbs easily getting caught among any driftwood, plants, etc.
I think that pretty much covers it.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i say its like sitting around your house naked.... if it feels good do it ;)

so if it feels good to sit around all naked do it.... if it feels right keeping and breeding batman rays do it....

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
turkeyboy85;3425201; said:
All batman rays in captivity are captive bred, they dont survive in the wild, i say go for it and see what happens, just keep track of any pups down the line.
cjfrontlovr;3425455; said:
i wonder if theres been any captured in the wild or if its something only happening in home aquaria?:popcorn:

i went scuba diving in cayman last week and saw myself a batman "Atlantic ray" It was only half batman but the disc was drastically not fused on one side. It was a female and it was huge and healthy looking.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
^ Sure it wasnt injuried from a boat or something? Did it look natural?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store