Snakehead Fishing in New Jersey

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Man these people in that thread are getting ridiculous. Too blind by their own biases (especially the ones believe that snakeheads are harmful).

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
Like i said they are an established exotic. I think the ecological impact was greatly exaggerated and it was easier to ban them then come up with a real solution or even look at the true impact

njbudman81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
south jersey
There is no way to get rid of em. The best they can do I say kill em when caught. I don't think they will hurt people but they will effect bass Fishing down the road. It's not going to be a next day effect but they are all over areas with lillies and other aquatic plant life. You rarely catch the snakeheads in open water so most likely the fish that stay out of the weeds will be fine

njbudman81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
south jersey
It honestly reminds me of the part in one of the Jurassic park movies where the raptors are all in the high grass. If you through lures into that area you will have snakeheads going for it.

ShipOfFools37

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
The Land of Pleasant Living.
I think it's an overstatement to say that snakeheads are not harmful, but the same goes for saying they are harmful. They have the potential to be harmful to an ecosystem, but we don't know. There are lots of uneducated responses on here by people who have not done their research. I understand the panic in NJ since they're just now starting to be seen more regularly, but I think that this is being blown out of proportion. Maryland has had an established snakehead population for about a decade and has seen no negative affects on the LMB population. There is still a lot of research to be done and there is potential for problems to arise down the road.

They do nest in shallow water and you do see them a lot under lily pads. They also exist in deeper water as well. You're making broad generalizations which are unfounded. Do more research, experience it more firsthand. I've got a lot of experience with snakeheads in Maryland but still know that there is a ton which I do not know. That's why I'm constantly reading articles, journals and reports to see what affects these fish are having.

The bottom line is that the snakeheads aren't doing the damage that was predicted. Don't get in a tizzy over seeing snakeheads, do your research on them and if you are that upset or worried about them, remove the ones you catch. Eat them or feed them to a wild animal, help something else survive if eating them isn't for you.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There is no way to get rid of em. The best they can do I say kill em when caught. I don't think they will hurt people but they will effect bass Fishing down the road. It's not going to be a next day effect but they are all over areas with lillies and other aquatic plant life. You rarely catch the snakeheads in open water so most likely the fish that stay out of the weeds will be fine
Largemouth bass populations in Floirda weren't affected by the bullseye snakeheads, largemouth bass populations of Hawaii weren't affected by the chervon snakeheads and also the largemouth bass populations of Japan weren't affected by the snakeheads of Japan. Like I said, fishing is NOT BEST METHODS for counting the fish populations. The best thing is accept them as a sportfish and we have to live with these snakeheads....for good. They will eventually become a naturalized sportfish.

shamboner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2008
FL
The ecosystems will adapt like they always have. They will find their place in the food web whether it is at the top or bottom. It is pointless to kill them when caught imo.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The ecosystems will adapt like they always have. They will find their place in the food web whether it is at the top or bottom. It is pointless to kill them when caught imo.
And us fishermen/naturalists should adapt to the exotic species.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Maybe they should stock some snakeheads in MN:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store