300 gallon setup/sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ah man what a waste. Wife conned me into going car shopping since her lease was up. Got nothing done.
The gates did arrive now to commit. 1 gate 2. Read some links about seperate gate having issues something about them fighting eachother and it being hard to maintain both overflows

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Ah man what a waste. Wife conned me into going car shopping since her lease was up. Got nothing done.
The gates did arrive now to commit. 1 gate 2. Read some links about seperate gate having issues something about them fighting eachother and it being hard to maintain both overflows
Is there any reason you can't run the gate on one line and leave the other open channel? Unless you are planning hard-core flow it would be more reliable, require less water pulled from the sump prior to achieving full siphon.

Combining two lines into a single gate will cause one to pull air often if you do not have an open channel line as well.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Is there any reason you can't run the gate on one line and leave the other open channel? Unless you are planning hard-core flow it would be more reliable, require less water pulled from the sump prior to achieving full siphon.

Combining two lines into a single gate will cause one to pull air often if you do not have an open channel line as well.
Pm sent

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im not gonna glue the returns until after its all set up and running but im leaning towards the manifold instead of the loc lines only. Im just thinking theres less of a chance the fish will move around the nozzles on the manifold but like how the loc line only return is more customizable

20170216_071242.jpg 20170216_071238.jpg

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
looking good so far man. have you thought about using a flow
accelerating rotating return nozzle? these return nozzles increase
the flow/water pressure that comes out of the return while rotating
360 degrees giving more coverage with a single return.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
looking good so far man. have you thought about using a flow
accelerating rotating return nozzle? these return nozzles increase
the flow/water pressure that comes out of the return while rotating
360 degrees giving more coverage with a single return.
Thx man. Yes i did discuss them with pacu mom and may end up using them but since the loclines were ordered already im just gonna roll with them for now.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So i may have solved the space issue but seems my wife is determined for me to to anything BUT work on this tank it will have to wait untill later. I think a combo of street 90's, sweeps, 45's amd not using the bulkheads for the sock holders will give me some extra room. Going to have to forgo some unions but i'll have spare bulkheads incase i need to redo something.....poor planning kn my part bjt what can you do

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Thx man. Yes i did discuss them with pacu mom and may end up using them but since the loclines were ordered already im just gonna roll with them for now.
ah icic, im not a fan of loc lines just bc of the sheer size/length of them.
especially with a good amount of top dwellers.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

Whoa. Can you explain this further? I have 2 siphon drains into one gate valve. Mine is silent, but it does make noise if the gate is not set right. Interesting thing is, I've never been able to figure out where the noise (air) comes from. It's not getting sucked into the siphon drain in the overflow box. I've checked for air leaks in the pipe under the tank. Never did figure it out.....I'm wondering if it has something to do with tying two drains together, or the long horizontal run before the gate valve.

Once I got mine running quiet, I just forgot about it. But, I'd like to know more about this whole tying drains together thing. Some say never do it. Others say it's no problem, it's the better way.

How or why would one siphon drain draw air if their tied together?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
ah icic, im not a fan of loc lines just bc of the sheer size/length of them.
especially with a good amount of top dwellers.
Agreed thats why i used the nozzles on the elbow/tee combo. Still can adjust the direction but a little more secure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store