300 gallon setup/sump build

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Whoa. Can you explain this further? I have 2 siphon drains into one gate valve. Mine is silent, but it does make noise if the gate is not set right. Interesting thing is, I've never been able to figure out where the noise (air) comes from. It's not getting sucked into the siphon drain in the overflow box. I've checked for air leaks in the pipe under the tank. Never did figure it out.....I'm wondering if it has something to do with tying two drains together, or the long horizontal run before the gate valve.

Once I got mine running quiet, I just forgot about it. But, I'd like to know more about this whole tying drains together thing. Some say never do it. Others say it's no problem, it's the better way.

How or why would one siphon drain draw air if their tied together?
I am wondering if the noise comes from the long horizontal runs before the slice gate you put in as well. I wonder if you had external overflows and were able to do something like this with 120 degree wye fittings so that everything is still running down hill and never horizontal until after the slice that you would have no noise?IMG_2788.JPG
sorry for my crappy hand writing

Reactions: kno4te

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Agreed thats why i used the nozzles on the elbow/tee combo. Still can adjust the direction but a little more secure
I like that setup also, plus, I think that the smooth pipe, T, and elbows are less restrictive than the loc-lines are. You could just lose the loc-line all together and run your flow straight out the PVC elbow...but any fish that swims in front of it won't like you very much. Lol

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That is very possible--the long horizontal runs. I "feel" like, there's air in the drain pipe system somewhere that just never comes out of the pipe, and any change in the system causes that air to resettle inside the pipes and cause light popping for a few minutes until it reaches equilibirium again.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
That is very possible--the long horizontal runs. I "feel" like, there's air in the drain pipe system somewhere that just never comes out of the pipe, and any change in the system causes that air to resettle inside the pipes and cause light popping for a few minutes until it reaches equilibirium again.
I think that there will always be air on the surface of that horizontal run no matter what unfortunatly with how the water goes around the 90 degree elbow. Maybe there is a way to mitigate it with a hole drilled and some hose attached to the hole for overflow? But I think that would then lose a full siphon?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think that there will always be air on the surface of that horizontal run no matter what unfortunatly with how the water goes around the 90 degree elbow. Maybe there is a way to mitigate it with a hole drilled and some hose attached to the hole for overflow? But I think that would then lose a full siphon?
Would lose siphon

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
thats what i figured. Not sure how else to mitigate not trapping air
I dont know that its even a big deal since ragin says its still silent. I decided to go with the 1 gate. It would have been a p.i.t.a to try and squeeze the 1.5 inch gates and ball valve in with the limited space.

Im getting there nothing is glued just press fit.

20170216_155322.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Almost have everything mocked up. Thank god for unions lol made it super easy to line up the drains exting the bulkheads.

Wondering how the heck im goinna glue this together lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Man i need two bushings aaagghh ! Back to lowes !

So the unions and loosening then retightening the bulkhads made aligning the siphon drains to the gate easy....a little too easy hope its the same when intake it apart and glue it.

20170216_183712.jpg 20170216_183706.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store