300 gallon setup/sump build

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Uggh ! I may have an issue and did exactly what i wasnt supposed to do...rushed. the left siphon drain is a little less than a quater inch lower than rhe right side. You mentioned that both draons had to be equal distances so am i gonna have constantly changing levels in the overflow ? Damn

View attachment 1233187

I postioned everyrhing so that i can swicth to 2 gates but would need to cut the two bulkheads out. I have two spares

Yes

Yeah thats how i did it but looks like i screwed up lol
I think you'll be fine. My comments really only come into play if you're trying to max out the flow. Worst case valve the pump back a quarter or so and will never even notice. What pump/GPH are you running?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think you'll be fine. My comments really only come into play if you're trying to max out the flow. Worst case valve the pump back a quarter or so and will never even notice. What pump/GPH are you running?

Running to jebao dct12000's. Plan on running them in the lower end of the settings maybe 1400ish gph per pump. The siphons if i remember correctly should hand somewher near 4000 gph at 1.5 inches. The Edrains should hand 2400 gph if i ever decide to trun the flow up. I hope your right man. Wife is rwady to give birth any day that kind of why im in such a rush to get it done.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So im pretty close to being able to get some water in there. Got all the plumbing glued. Just have to set the stand pipes and glue the return but will wait until i know the system us running ok for that.

Had to make some changes on where things were and how the plumbing was ran due to the space constraints. No fault of chris's as the basement wouldnt accommodate a larger stand. Thank god chris talked me out of running both Edrain and siphon drains at 2inches or i would have had serious problems.

20170217_104730.jpg 20170217_103048.jpg 20170217_103053.jpg 20170217_103106.jpg 20170217_103109.jpg 20170217_103114.jpg 20170217_103123.jpg 20170217_103136.jpg 20170217_103131.jpg 20170217_104730.jpg

Had to cut down the tee and elbows on thw socker holder side to make it fit and repostion the pond boxes and pumps (thank god for unions) also used the foam that came with them as a cushion between the bottom of the sump and the pumps incase they vibrate too much

jvc66 jvc66 if you expand on some of the pics you see the black markings that we were talking about earlier. Do that before you take everything apart and glue, they help make sure everything is aligned correctly and help with not pressing the pipes to far into the fittings and screwing up the lengths, which i still screwed up on the left bulkhead siphon drain smh.

So have a couple of questions. I want to drill some siphon breaks and not only rely on the check valves but may have to drill into the bulkhead fitting to achieve the height im after. Is that ok ?

Also have to set some pipes in the tee/90's on the sock holder. Im thinking press fit or do i need to glue ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh yeah like an idiot i didnt remove the wraping from on the sump, have to take it apart lol

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Jusy thinking about this hopefully the more experienced sump guys chime in but whats the big deal if the water level in the overflows arent the same height say they are off by a couple of inches. But still not sucking any air ?

What happens ? If its a little noisier im cool with that as the tank is in the basement. The main goal for me was high flow and not worrying about flooding

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Jusy thinking about this hopefully the more experienced sump guys chime in but whats the big deal if the water level in the overflows arent the same height say they are off by a couple of inches. But still not sucking any air ?

What happens ? If its a little noisier im cool with that as the tank is in the basement. The main goal for me was high flow and not worrying about flooding
The water level in my 2 overflows on our 300 gallon is not exactly the same either. Hasn't been an issue for me the last 2+ years of running that tank. Mine aren't a couple of inches difference though...probably more like a little over and inch. I get a little more noise than I'd like from the water falling a little further to reach the drain pipe, but our tanks are in the basement, too, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm just running a straight Durso system, as this is what comes with the Marineland Reef Ready tanks.

Reactions: jaws7777

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Looking fantastic! Sure is making me feel like my vinyl tube plumbing looks awful now. Lol.

One thing about drilling the siphon breaks, make sure that you get them down far enough that they will be completely submerged when the tank is running. One of mine ended up slightly high on the fitting an when the water level gets a tiny bit lower due to evaporation it can start to skim the surface and get noisy. It's not much of a problem for me as I just turn one of the pumps up a notch or two to get the water level a little higher and submerge it again, or I just add some water back in to make up for the evaporation.

Another thing, I'm really regretting not having used filter socks. My current setup with filter floss and sponges is not as easy to maintain as I had hoped. When I go to pick up the floss/sponges, a lot of the detritus starts to become free-floating in the chamber and doesn't come out with the sponges. I think you will be much happier with the socks and I am considering trying to come up with a way to modify my setup to put socks in. I will probably still try a proper poret foam stack first though.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Looking fantastic! Sure is making me feel like my vinyl tube plumbing looks awful now. Lol.

One thing about drilling the siphon breaks, make sure that you get them down far enough that they will be completely submerged when the tank is running. One of mine ended up slightly high on the fitting an when the water level gets a tiny bit lower due to evaporation it can start to skim the surface and get noisy. It's not much of a problem for me as I just turn one of the pumps up a notch or two to get the water level a little higher and submerge it again, or I just add some water back in to make up for the evaporation.

Another thing, I'm really regretting not having used filter socks. My current setup with filter floss and sponges is not as easy to maintain as I had hoped. When I go to pick up the floss/sponges, a lot of the detritus starts to become free-floating in the chamber and doesn't come out with the sponges. I think you will be much happier with the socks and I am considering trying to come up with a way to modify my setup to put socks in. I will probably still try a proper poret foam stack first though.
I actually raised the siphon break on my 150 to kist about level with the water surface in not a smidge above it. Now i get very little baclflow

The water level in my 2 overflows on our 300 gallon is not exactly the same either. Hasn't been an issue for me the last 2+ years of running that tank. Mine aren't a couple of inches difference though...probably more like a little over and inch. I get a little more noise than I'd like from the water falling a little further to reach the drain pipe, but our tanks are in the basement, too, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm just running a straight Durso system, as this is what comes with the Marineland Reef Ready tanks.
Thx def tjats good to know i wont go nuts trying to make them perfectly level.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
20170217_184607.jpg

Started leake testing and ran into a speed bump. This union was leaking, was a little loose but going to let it dry out as some water is still slowly leaking. It could be just traped water behind the nut.

Siphon drains were good so i closed the gate and filled up the overflows and siphons to see how it would handle a little pressure. Both return bulkheads needed tightening along with one of the edraains that i cant get too. Going to removed all the nuts and retighten

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store