Green Terror not eating

coldmirror130

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Hello, I'm new to this site so thanks in advance for any help/ advice. My green terror has been ill for some time now. He stopped eating maybe 6-8 months ago and was pooping white. i moved him to quarantine and treated him with general cure. He finally started eating again at which time I moved him back to my 180 gallon. he was fine for several months, had a vigorous appetite etc. Then, maybe a month ago he stopped eating again, pooping white/ clear. Once again, I moved him to quarantine and at first treated with just aquarium salt and higher hear, then 2 rounds of general cure. He still refused to eat much of anything. I resorted to feeding live feeder guppies from my own colony that I keep. He did eat several of those. At this point he's back in the 180 gallon again and has only accepted frozen bloodworms for the last few days. Now he's even starting to spit those out. I'm out of ideas. All the other fish in the tank seem fine and a eating vigorously. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I'm new to this site so thanks in advance for any help/ advice. My green terror has been ill for some time now. He stopped eating maybe 6-8 months ago and was pooping white. i moved him to quarantine and treated him with general cure. He finally started eating again at which time I moved him back to my 180 gallon. he was fine for several months, had a vigorous appetite etc. Then, maybe a month ago he stopped eating again, pooping white/ clear. Once again, I moved him to quarantine and at first treated with just aquarium salt and higher hear, then 2 rounds of general cure. He still refused to eat much of anything. I resorted to feeding live feeder guppies from my own colony that I keep. He did eat several of those. At this point he's back in the 180 gallon again and has only accepted frozen bloodworms for the last few days. Now he's even starting to spit those out. I'm out of ideas. All the other fish in the tank seem fine and a eating vigorously. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Charney Charney

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how long did you treat him with the general cure? Think you can get him to eat food with metro in it? I worry if he has hex/spironucleus which can be a pain to clear

coldmirror130

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2016
Cleveland, OH
how long did you treat him with the general cure? Think you can get him to eat food with metro in it? I worry if he has hex/spironucleus which can be a pain to clear
Hi Charney. Thanks for the reply. He's been through 2 rounds of general cure on the last 6 months or so. I just followed the instructions on the box. but hes been in quarantine twice for maybe 6 weeks at a time. I am not able to get him to eat the metro infused food. I bought som of the NLS stuff. He won't touch it. I even tried thawing some blood worms, mixing in the metro food, and then re-freezing it. Again, he basically runs from it (also I'm not sure what affect freezing has on metro). The only thing he'll take is frozen blood worms still and sparingly at that. I hand feed him a chunk or 2 with each feeding with some vita Chem on it. I'm sure he would eat more feeder guppies as well (from my only stock of course). At this point I'm contemplating just setting up a seperate tank for him (a more suitable tank than my 27 gallon cube quarantine) and allowing him to live in there so I can feed him worms and guppies without competition.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
If with white poop it's internal bacteria ... kusuri discus wormer plus (metronidazole I think) always works much better for me than a general cure as they aren't targeted

coldmirror130

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2016
Cleveland, OH
If with white poop it's internal bacteria ... kusuri discus wormer plus (metronidazole I think) always works much better for me than a general cure as they aren't targeted
Just skimmed the info on the kusuri product. Looks very promising! I may look into just treating my whole tank. I haven't noticed the bright white poop like he was having prior to the general cure treatment but something is still off with him for sure.

Reactions: Tomt37

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
It has helped a lot of delicate fish like electric blue jack Dempseys etc for me and worked a treat

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Hi Charney. Thanks for the reply. He's been through 2 rounds of general cure on the last 6 months or so. I just followed the instructions on the box. but hes been in quarantine twice for maybe 6 weeks at a time. I am not able to get him to eat the metro infused food. I bought som of the NLS stuff. He won't touch it. I even tried thawing some blood worms, mixing in the metro food, and then re-freezing it. Again, he basically runs from it (also I'm not sure what affect freezing has on metro). The only thing he'll take is frozen blood worms still and sparingly at that. I hand feed him a chunk or 2 with each feeding with some vita Chem on it. I'm sure he would eat more feeder guppies as well (from my only stock of course). At this point I'm contemplating just setting up a seperate tank for him (a more suitable tank than my 27 gallon cube quarantine) and allowing him to live in there so I can feed him worms and guppies without competition.
I think it would be good to set him up in his own tank so you can fatten him up. At this point maybe you can get him to eat a food with metro in it.

looks like an interesting medication. The active drug is Flubendazole, which I believe is a controlled substance in the US.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

coldmirror130

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I think it would be good to set him up in his own tank so you can fatten him up. At this point maybe you can get him to eat a food with metro in it.

I think that'll be the plan. I'm now starting to crush a little metro food and sprinkle it over the bloodworms. Not sure how much he's actually ingesting but some medication is better than none I suppose. I'm looking to set up a rack of 40 breeders anyway so this is good motivation to start. I'll let this guy occupy one of them :)

looks like an interesting medication. The active drug is Flubendazole, which I believe is a controlled substance in the US.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store