Raising Nandopsis haitiensis.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
How do you awesome fish keepers raise them up to pair? Everyone I talk to says they bloat if you keep them together. So the traditional, raise them together in a single tank seems not to work? Or do you just partition off a 6ft tank? Use multiple smaller tanks? Then experiment on adding to a bigger tank?

What have you found the key to success is with these Beautiful, picky buggers.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
When young there alright in a group together, soon as two pair up remove the rest. Andy woods always says there easier to pair and breed then convicts

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
When young there alright in a group together, soon as two pair up remove the rest. Andy woods always says there easier to pair and breed then convicts
Thats good news, that's the more traditional route I'm used to. But if you take what you read online websites and such they get bloat from looking at each other.

Andy woods IS the reason I'm considering these guys. I absolutely love his pair.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Yea there stunning fish, every time I go round and see him I am tempted to get some.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They look awesome! Good luck :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have raised many. But killed my first 19 of 20, before I learned their (haitiensus) rules to live by.
First off, they like warmth, mid to high 80s. In the article Hispaniola, Oh Island in the Sun.
The authors took water temps where haitiensus thrived, most were mid to high 80sF.
Next...after 1 inch, they start to kill each other. I have found dividing a tank into compartments seems to be the best way to keep them healthy. And each compartment needs a cave (or something to hide in away from view of the other haits), alpha haitiensus seem to be able to simply intimidate subordinate individuals into stress bourne disease and death.
I would also suggest that as soon as gender differences become apparent, put the females compartment between 2 males compartments and allow her to choose her mate.
Once chosen the bond can be very strong. Once I got a bonded pair, they remained so for over 5 years, spawning many times.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Part of me wants to sell everything I have and just have a pair of these guys, awesome fish.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Also just happens that COA is about to have some little guys available. And my umbee is moving into his new home soon so I will have an empty 135 coming up.
I have raised many. But killed my first 19 of 20, before I learned their (haitiensus) rules to live by.
First off, they like warmth, mid to high 80s. In the article Hispaniola, Oh Island in the Sun.
The authors took water temps where haitiensus thrived, most were mid to high 80sF.
Next...after 1 inch, they start to kill each other. I have found dividing a tank into compartments seems to be the best way to keep them healthy. And each compartment needs a cave (or something to hide in away from view of the other haits), alpha haitiensus seem to be able to simply intimidate subordinate individuals into stress bourne disease and death.
I would also suggest that as soon as gender differences become apparent, put the females compartment between 2 males compartments and allow her to choose her mate.
Once chosen the bond can be very strong. Once I got a bonded pair, they remained so for over 5 years, spawning many times.

As always Duane's quality information and Beautiful pictures.

I recently got some acrylic dividers. I could try to make like 5 sections in the 6ft tank water flow may be abit restricted to the middle section though. And I've always hated the look of light defusers.

So your saying I should start with the tank divided from the go.

Reactions: MP_cichlid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store