Raising Nandopsis haitiensis.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Jhay3513 Jhay3513 Did they darken up some when you put them against a black substrate or were they like that at the store? When I switched to black sand on my JD tank they darkened up a lot.

They look good on the video.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Jhay3513 Jhay3513 Did they darken up some when you put them against a black substrate or were they like that at the store? When I switched to black sand on my JD tank they darkened up a lot.

They look good on the video.
The store had dark background/substrate too so I wouldn't know. They were also freshly shipped when I got them so they never even put them in their aquarium. They called me when the shipment arrived and I went and snatched them right up. Here is a pic of the largest one on the day that I put them in the tank this is the best depiction of their original color that I have

IMG_5131.JPG

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I probably would have snatched those right up too. The fins look good. They must be getting along still. Are you going to keep those five for a while?

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I probably would have snatched those right up too. The fins look good. They must be getting along still. Are you going to keep those five for a while?
At least until I have an identifiable pair to finish growing out in my 75. The rest I'd probably plan on selling them to someone else that wanted to try them out. If you want to try them I'll keep you in mind we can meet up to swap

Reactions: tarheel96

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Looking good buddy, I see alot of haits kept on that black and white substrate. Looks good I may have to mix some black into my sand just for that killer look.
I used black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co. It's amazingly cheaper than the stuff you buy at the LFS. 50lbs for like $7.50. You just have to rinse it really well but I've used it in my aquariums for 3-4 years with no problems. For the white sand I use pool filter sand which is equally as cheap. They were over all black since I got them, I like their colors over the salt and pepper substrate much much better

Reactions: Covetous
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store