Raising Nandopsis haitiensis.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Wetspot has some as well if you don't want to deal with that minimum order B.S. :)

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
How do you awesome fish keepers raise them up to pair? Everyone I talk to says they bloat if you keep them together. So the traditional, raise them together in a single tank seems not to work? Or do you just partition off a 6ft tank? Use multiple smaller tanks? Then experiment on adding to a bigger tank?

What have you found the key to success is with these Beautiful, picky buggers.
I'm currently on my first trial run with them. I started off with 6 .5-1" younglings on march 18th. The largest (I'm thinking male) is pushing the 2"ish mark. I can attest to some of the other commenters that even at this size they are ruthless on each other. I've been piecing a 75 gallon together (attached) for them and it's reaching critical now. They're in a 20 long now. I feed spirulina flake from kens, northfin veggie, northfin krill, frozen blood worms, frozen brine, and even some occasional spinach. I'm thinking I have what might be a pair forming but I'm not sure yet. The ones I suspect to be female are REALLY aggressive, especially the dominant one.

IMG_7290.JPG

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
But none have died from bloat yet? And you think you have a pair that small? That's cool, I'm never that lucky with cichlids.

I have a 125 that currently has a lone male Gorillus blue Umbee (do to my careless bad placement of a divider and a long work trip.) I will be moving him to a bigger tank soon and I am just brainstorming what I want to go in his growout tank.

I want soemthing that can live in the tank for a long long time. I don't want something I have to move into something bigger. Seeing as I don't have the tank or money to get another. These guys are on the top of the list. But there is a few other contenders. The biggest thing stopping me is all the bloat issues I've read about. Seeing how I have had some bad times with dividers recently I'm not super keen on trying to split the tank up for a long period of time. So I'm not sure.

Good luck with your guys, keep me posted on how they do all in the same place

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
duanes duanes from what I've read and watched they seem to be one of the species that form a stronger pair bond.
Which is awesome. It's always good to hear people that have actually kept them to confirm this.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I found the same occurrence when searching online for information regarding Haitiensis. Although I've currently got a pair that formed at around 2.5-3" in their own tank. This change was only recent though. They were previously in with my grow outs, but I had no issues. This included a few smaller Motaguensis, Carpintis and a much larger Festae in comparison. I guess certain factors come into play aswell, such as the generation and general hardiness of the fish. I may have just got lucky...?

In regards to the parental bond. They're amazing parents. My two even managed to successfully breed and keep fry alive in my grow out tank.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
But none have died from bloat yet? And you think you have a pair that small? That's cool, I'm never that lucky with cichlids.

I have a 125 that currently has a lone male Gorillus blue Umbee (do to my careless bad placement of a divider and a long work trip.) I will be moving him to a bigger tank soon and I am just brainstorming what I want to go in his growout tank.

I want soemthing that can live in the tank for a long long time. I don't want something I have to move into something bigger. Seeing as I don't have the tank or money to get another. These guys are on the top of the list. But there is a few other contenders. The biggest thing stopping me is all the bloat issues I've read about. Seeing how I have had some bad times with dividers recently I'm not super keen on trying to split the tank up for a long period of time. So I'm not sure.

Good luck with your guys, keep me posted on how they do all in the same place
Fingers are still crossed as far as bloat but as of right now no issues. I followed the advice of this forum and a few PMs to a few breeders and keep my tank at 82-84° with a decent current (fluval 206 on a 20 long). And I do a 80% water change every week and clean my canisters every 30 days. I would say that actually following the basics of fish keeping and not being lazy with tank maintenance has helped me. One thing I can confirm is that they absolutely HATE water changes lol. They pout and pout for like 30 minutes after it's all over. As soon as I start draining the water they dig burrows to hide in. (Water change pics attached). One thing I don't do is what I call "power feeding them" which is when you hear about people feeding their fish 3 times a day to make them grow faster. I feed them every morning and none on Sunday.

IMG_7303.JPG

IMG_7304.JPG

IMG_7305.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

Reactions: tarheel96
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store