Stocking Adjustment Question

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
As the owner of three potential giants (CK, pbass, black ear pangasius) and a medium-sized pleco, I've been told my 60g is overstocked. As of now, everyone in my tank is doing well; none of my fish are over 7 inches. I wish I could keep them all, but my tank limits my options. I am looking at an arowana, a Lima shovelnose, a Bichir of some sort, or something new that shows up along the way to add to my tank. However, I know that this will require a stock adjustment. I do not want to get rid of my CK or pbass; they're my two favorites. My black ear pangasius is awesome, but he's really boisterous and gets in the way of my resting CK, and will repeatedly bump into my fish, which I'm guessing irritates them. My pleco doesn't do very much, but I read that they produce a lot of waste and aren't good for the filtration. Those are the two fish I'm willing to part with. What do you guys suggest I do? An upgrade is eventually coming for my tank; I'm not completely sure of the size, but I will let you know when the time comes.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Get rip of those fishes you don't plan to keep, DO NOT add any fishes in unless you have your "soon upgrade tank" sitting in your property. Any soon "plans" to upgrade never work for any Arowana species. Those folks that said your tank is over stocked, they are right and listen to them. You upgrade tank should be 300G+ so if you can't have that for whatever reason then you should look into some smaller fish species. I don't want to be rude but we have seen a lot of "plans", thinking to "upgrade" threads but it doesn't go anywhere when due time for upgrade is up.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Get rip of those fishes you don't plan to keep, DO NOT add any fishes in unless you have your "soon upgrade tank" sitting in your property. Any soon "plans" to upgrade never work for any Arowana species. Those folks that said your tank is over stocked, they are right and listen to them. You upgrade tank should be 300G+ so if you can't have that for whatever reason then you should look into some smaller fish species. I don't want to be rude but we have seen a lot of "plans", thinking to "upgrade" threads but it doesn't go anywhere when due time for upgrade is up.
I'm assuming plans to upgrade w/ arowana species never work because of their growth rate?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Not being rude bud but we've been trying to help with this and now your thinking of getting an aro ? I underatand you like your fish but if you truly care for them then rehome them to a better home 60gal wont suit any of them...also wont suit any poly other than the smaller growing upper jaws.

Reactions: magpie and AG458

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Not being rude bud but we've been trying to help with this and now your thinking of getting an aro ? I underatand you like your fish but if you truly care for them then rehome them to a better home 60gal wont suit any of them...also wont suit any poly other than the smaller growing upper jaws.
I'm sorry man; I completely understand. There's some fish I've been wanting forever, and the arowana is on that list. I know you guys are right and my tank is too small; I'll try to hold off. It's just cool to see all of the fish for sale at a fish store, and every time I see something rare or cool looking I want to buy it.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I know how you feel! All the fish I want are at a store 1/4 mile from my house. It's gonna be at least two months before my new bigger tank arrives, my stand is built, and the tank is prepped and cycled. Frustrating....i may relent and throw a pictus cat in if I get too antsy lol.

Reactions: AG458

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You'll 'try' to hold off? You already have fish that can't live in that tank all that much longer. Try to think of their care. In the meantime, surf around here, look at other people's stockings and tanks, and save up money for a 300 gallon. Then you can start buying these fish. What's the point of getting these cool fish if you're going to keep them in a tiny box? It's like getting a great dane and keeping it in a crate all day long so you can stare at it.

Reactions: Tony A. and AG458

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Yes a 60 gallon way to small for any of those fish. There are a lot of cool smaller fish that can live in a 60 their whole life check into some of them
Do you mind throwing me some examples?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store