Breaking Down the Black Bar (Black Bar Silver Dollar Article) By:Aqua Alex

A

AquaAlex1993

ATTENTION Fish Keepers:
Aqua Alex's September 2017 Aquarium Hobbyist Article has been released and is ready for your read.
This month, I talk to you about one of my favorite child hood favorite species, the black bar silver dollar. (Myleus Schomburgkii). There are 2 different variants of the black bar silver dollar. I break down the difference between thin bar silver dollars (aka Emperor red hook) and the wide bar silver dollar (aka Emperor Blue Hook). Find out how to care for them and more!
Enjoy!
Thanks for letting me publish and post fish keepers, you always make me have fun!
https://www.facebook.com/notes/alex-cardinale-ac-network/breaking-down-the-black-bar-myleus-schomburgkii/1767722423524950/

Reactions: Chub_by

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I was under the impression they were two different species not variants, interesting.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

I was under the impression they were two different species not variants, interesting.
A lot of people feel that way and understandably so.
But, they both share the Myleus Schomburgkii scientific name, so they are just variants with one getting bigger than the other.
They come from different locale and look different, but still same scientific name, so technically you can call them different species.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
A lot of people feel that way and understandably so.
But, they both share the Myleus Schomburgkii scientific name, so they are just variants with one getting bigger than the other.
They come from different locale and look different, but still same scientific name, so technically you can call them different species.
Basically they need some scietific work lol nothing wrong with that

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I agree with you. I wonder how much they'd pay us to change it hehe.
We couldn't. Has to be an ichthyologist. We can provide an icthyologist with the work which they can further look into but they'd still have to write it and would still get the credit for it as well

A

AquaAlex1993

We couldn't. Has to be an ichthyologist. We can provide an icthyologist with the work which they can further look into but they'd still have to write it and would still get the credit for it as well
I know that. I was half kidding.

Reactions: moe214

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
Yes I noticed years ago when I would see people post Myleus Schomburgkii that some where different. I hope that they do one day get reclassified, your article brings light to something everyone might not know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store