Sand or gravel

Please help I just got back into the fish game after a 9 year hiatus I am setting up a 55 gallon tan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noswineplease

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2017
Please help I just got back into the fish game after a 9 year hiatus I am setting up a 55 gallon tank tomorrow for 2 jaguar cichlids im stressed about sand or gravel now the guy I am getting the tank from had sand he's used for 3 years and I want sand personally instead of gravel. Also I and trying out for the first time a Penn plaxx canister filter 1000. Please tell me what's best gravel or sand. I'd like to try sand for once. Thx happy New Year to ALL

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I have sand in my tanks and every time I change the filter there is always lots of sand in it, you can’t really siphon sand you have to suck up what’s on the surface without sucking up the sand

Noswineplease

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2017
I have sand in my tanks and every time I change the filter there is always lots of sand in it, you can’t really siphon sand you have to suck up what’s on the surface without sucking up the sand
You think I can just scoop up the waste without siphoning it? I just didn't want to put 50$ worth of gravel I already have 20$ worth of gravel in my 29 gallon also you think periodically I should disturb the gravel to move the food/waste around to get filtered out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store