Unfertilized Eggs?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
My Husband has a pair of gold severums that laid eggs the other day. Three out of hundreds of eggs are white which I was told meant they were infertile. The other eggs are still a sort of orange color and look like they did when she laid them. Will the white eggs end up covered in fungus and if so will it spread to the good ones before they hatch?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My Husband has a pair of gold severums that laid eggs the other day. Three out of hundreds of eggs are white which I was told meant they were infertile. The other eggs are still a sort of orange color and look like they did when she laid them. Will the white eggs end up covered in fungus and if so will it spread to the good ones before they hatch?

Yes but most experienced Cichlid mother's will eat the bad eggs.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tom, let the parents deal with the duds.
And as eggs hatch the empty "shells" will also fungus, but the parents will remove the fry and hide them.
The fry will live off a yolk sac the first few days , and don't need to be fed until they are free swimming, then small amounts of food as many times per day as possible.
I usually use a pipette or turkey baster to shoot clouds of food into the school of fry.

I like to puree flake food or thawed peas in a little tank water as first foods, and also hatch out brine shrimp nauplii.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
This is their first time breeding so maybe she will do better next time. She left the white eggs so they became overwhelmed with fungus. They're strugglers now but are still attached to the ornament where the fungus still is. Are the gold severum mouth brooders because when they first started hatching she would blow air and fan them and would eat them (or mouth brooding?) As they would fall from the ornament. Did she eat them and left the remaining on the ornament to raise? She seems to be fanning the remaining ones still attached to the ornament but has not removed the fungus? I'm really confused.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
This is their first time breeding so maybe she will do better next time. She left the white eggs so they became overwhelmed with fungus. They're strugglers now but are still attached to the ornament where the fungus still is. Are the gold severum mouth brooders because when they first started hatching she would blow air and fan them and would eat them (or mouth brooding?) As they would fall from the ornament. Did she eat them and left the remaining on the ornament to raise? She seems to be fanning the remaining ones still attached to the ornament but has not removed the fungus? I'm really confused.
I meant they're wrigglers now (not strugglers)!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I meant they're wrigglers now (not strugglers)!

Like stated she will gain experience each time they spawn and yes she will fan the eggs also the wriggler's. Also the wriggler's will be picked up by the female using her mouth to put them back in place with the others. You could seed a sponge filter by placing it in your aquarium or sump for the free swimming fry to be placed in a fry growout aquarium.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Likely the parents will breed many times and may get better at taking care of the eggs/fry. If not and they still eat the eggs /fry and you want to raise some fry you can move the eggs to a grow out tank.
I had a pair of cichlids (angel fish) that never stopped eating fry. I raised a decent number of their fry. Set the growout tank up with a sponge filter and add some methylene blue to the water. The methylene blue will help stop the fungus.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Well I will definitely have to get methylene blue for next time in case she lacks in the fungus removal area. I want her to have the experience so I'll leave the remaining in there. So far, she is still doing great maintaining the others. She removed some pieces of the fungus but not all of it. She seems to forget to spit the wrigglers back out when they get loose from the ornament and gets scooped up by her. But it's day 3 for wrigglers so I'll see how it goes for her first time. Thank you for the more experienced knowledge!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Well I will definitely have to get methylene blue for next time in case she lacks in the fungus removal area. I
hello; Just to be more clear I am not suggesting adding the methylene blue to the tank with the adults. Rather to be used in a separate growout tank to which the eggs have been moved.

If you leave the eggs in with the adults then let the adults work it out.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Today the wrigglers are swimming around and both parents seem to be collecting the strays in their mouth and returning them to the others. We have no local store for any baby brine shrimp or anything like that but I do have northfin and hikari fry powder food I started putting in today. Any others tips for what's to come?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store