Unfertilized Eggs?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Today the wrigglers are swimming around and both parents seem to be collecting the strays in their mouth and returning them to the others. We have no local store for any baby brine shrimp or anything like that but I do have northfin and hikari fry powder food I started putting in today. Any others tips for what's to come?

Happy to hear that the parents are attending the fry. I suggest keeping your routine normal as far as water changes and testing your parameters. Also if you have any filter intakes please cover with a sponge or mesh material even a new knee high stocking will work this will keep fry from getting sucked into the filter. Other than that enjoy this wonderful experience of the Fish keeping hobby.:)

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Thank you so much and I managed to have a sponge filter left over from another tank and it's supposedly made for breeding but it doesn't keep the tank as clean as were used to and Idk if this is normal for sponge filters. It's the one the air hose hooks in the middle to. You can tell in the photo I posted of the babies. Does anyone know if there's a point when the fry needs to be removed from parents or will they not eat them at any point say when their much older?

KIMG2327.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
a sponge filter left over from another tank and it's supposedly made for breeding but it doesn't keep the tank as clean as were used to and Idk if this is normal for sponge filters.
hello; This is normal for a sponge. They are more biological filtration than mechanical. Once the fry get big enough then the siphon hose can be used to remove detritus.
I have an attachment with screen material on it that I add to a siphon hose for water changes when I have fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store