Can I get Bichirs?

CassInClass

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2018
East Coast, USA
Hey all,

My dad's giving me his old 75g and I'm fairly new to the fish scene. Now, I really want Senegals, like really bad, but I've searched around and asked friends and I keep getting different responses on whether or not I can keep some in my 75g. I understand there's a lot of variables like size, growth rate, how many, filtration strength, etc. etc.

Is there anyway I can keep Sens at ALL or should I ditch the idea. I'd really hate to keep fish in an unsuitable environment, you know?

Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all,

My dad's giving me his old 75g and I'm fairly new to the fish scene. Now, I really want Senegals, like really bad, but I've searched around and asked friends and I keep getting different responses on whether or not I can keep some in my 75g. I understand there's a lot of variables like size, growth rate, how many, filtration strength, etc. etc.

Is there anyway I can keep Sens at ALL or should I ditch the idea. I'd really hate to keep fish in an unsuitable environment, you know?

Thanks!
Welcome aboard:)

You can absolutely keep CB Senegalus in a 75.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
3 is good. Can add more but you may want to add tankmates in the future. So suggest hold on 3 and then decide.

Reactions: tlindsey

CassInClass

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2018
East Coast, USA
3 is good. Can add more but you may want to add tankmates in the future. So suggest hold on 3 and then decide.
One more question: I felt like for tank mates I wanted to do a Sev or two.. or three if possible and some rainbows. Would these be appropriate and if so how many of each may I keep? The tank has an external canister filter but I don't know the exact specs if bioload is an issue to consider.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One more question: I felt like for tank mates I wanted to do a Sev or two.. or three if possible and some rainbows. Would these be appropriate and if so how many of each may I keep? The tank has an external canister filter but I don't know the exact specs if bioload is an issue to consider.

Please don't buy any fish until you learn about the Nitrifying Cycle of a aquarium.
I would suggest the Rainbow's over the Severum.

Reactions: kno4te

CassInClass

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2018
East Coast, USA
Please don't buy any fish until you learn about the Nitrifying Cycle of a aquarium.
I would suggest the Rainbow's over the Severum.
I see! Yeah I know I said I'm new but I know about cycling and testing and tank keeping and safe/ suitable plants/substrate etc etc..
I'm just not super pro on fish! I've only ever had mollies and tetras ;(
And yeah the rainbows are nice.

Reactions: tlindsey

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
You could keep other upper jaw bichir's in that size tank too, not just limited to Senegalus :)
Post in the Polypterus section, many awesome people there who would love to answer your questions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store