Oscar With Tiger Barbs And Cray?

TheAquaKid

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2018
So I have a tank with a school of 5 Albino Tiger Barbs and 2 Common Crayfish (One missing a pincer)

However, I've been thinking that maybe an Oscar would be fine too?

The Tiger Barbs are decent size, though I think still pretty young and not at full potential in growth. The Cray with only one claw is about medium-ish size, and the other one is almost max size in my opinion. The Tiger Oscars at my local pet store are rather small, about maybe 3 inches long and an inch wide, if that. I figured that since they would all practically grow up together, they would eventually be fine with one another? The Crayfish I don't really care about if they get eaten eventually, as I can just get new ones from my nearby stream, but the Tiger Barbs and the actual Oscar I'm worried about. Being rather small until it quickly grows to its monster size, I'm scared the Cray with both claws (the other one is peaceful with everything) might end up trying to snag it before it grows too big, injuring or killing it in the process. That, and I fear that once the Oscar gets big enough, it'll see not only the Cray but the entire school of Tiger Barbs as a tasty snack.

Thoughts?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well Oscars love to eat crays, once it is large enough to do so it surely will. And if the cray is large enough to be predatory to a 3" Oscar, I wouldn't trust that either.
The tiger barbs might also be eventual snacks. Basically, anything that can fit in an Oscar's mouth is gone. It would probably be fine for a year or so until the Oscar is 12"+, then I'd say all bets are off.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well Oscars love to eat crays, once it is large enough to do so it surely will. And if the cray is large enough to be predatory to a 3" Oscar, I wouldn't trust that either.
The tiger barbs might also be eventual snacks. Basically, anything that can fit in an Oscar's mouth is gone. It would probably be fine for a year or so until the Oscar is 12"+, then I'd say all bets are off.

^
This

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store