T-Bar Cichlid help

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
One of my buddies has a t-bar pair in a 40 B and I love the fish. ATM the only empty tank I have is a 60 gallon that has been at my parents for a while. I wanted to know if a pair or single fish can go in the 60 with any tankmates. I kinda wanted to have them in a CA community if that could work. Thanks!

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
is that a 3 foot 60 or 4 foot 60?

I am currently keeping a male sajica in a 40b with tank mates. Though he's in there without a mate because he's killed his last two. I had a few spawns but eventually he offed them. That being said he's one of the more aggressive sajicas I've kept. 3 foot tank should be ok for a pair by themselves but I'd ensure the female has some place to hide when the male gets pushy

4 foot tank would be better.

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
is that a 3 foot 60 or 4 foot 60?

I am currently keeping a male sajica in a 40b with tank mates. Though he's in there without a mate because he's killed his last two. I had a few spawns but eventually he offed them. That being said he's one of the more aggressive sajicas I've kept. 3 foot tank should be ok for a pair by themselves but I'd ensure the female has some place to hide when the male gets pushy

4 foot tank would be better.
The tank is 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H soooo can a single or pair work with tank mates?

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
I would think so. Likely up to the aggression of the pair but it's doable. What tank mates did you have in mind?
Planned on
10 congo/ Buenos aries tetras
1 CA/SA catfish(raphel/small group of pictus)
Pair of T-bar cichlids
another pair or single cichlid (sevrums/oscar/JD/suggestions)
pleco of some kind

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Funny story. I watched a pair of my sajicas (about 3 inches at the time or at least the male was) blind side my 9 inch severum when they were defending free swimmers. That poor severum didn't know what hit him.

That being said, for catfish, take a look at hoplo cats. I've kept them for a number of years now with sajicas and other cichlids and they've been model citizens and the cichlids leave them alone. Quite hardy and bulletproof.

I would hesitate on putting something as large as an oscar or severum in a tank that's only 12 inches front to back. I'd think something like a pair of rainbow cichlids or maybe meeki would be a better match but there are others on this forum that have more experience than me with these fish.

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funny story. I watched a pair of my sajicas (about 3 inches at the time or at least the male was) blind side my 9 inch severum when they were defending free swimmers. That poor severum didn't know what hit him.

That being said, for catfish, take a look at hoplo cats. I've kept them for a number of years now with sajicas and other cichlids and they've been model citizens and the cichlids leave them alone. Quite hardy and bulletproof.

I would hesitate on putting something as large as an oscar or severum in a tank that's only 12 inches front to back. I'd think something like a pair of rainbow cichlids or maybe meeki would be a better match but there are others on this forum that have more experience than me with these fish.
Could Honduran red points go with them? I want another larger fish in the tank but I'm not sure. I really want hoplos and have been looking but can never find them, would pictus or another cat work?

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
The tank is probably OK for a pair (without any other cichlids) and some dither fish, until they reach full size. Males can get large, and pairs can get quite aggressive with any other cichlids, but usually ignore non-competitors.

just saw your post...So u think just the pair with some dithers? What if they were moved to a 125 in about 4 months?

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
for reference, when i had my tbars with a severum it was in a 135.

i believe trinsfish.com has hoplos. they usually have great stock. I wouldn't do HRP's with convicts due to risk of hybridization. That's just me

If you order from trinsfish i have a coupon that can save you some off your first order. Just let me know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store