Schoutedeni food?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Let me know if you ever find out what that food was and if yours is taking it. Would love to get my schoutedeni on pellets. He will nibble on Hikari Carnivore but spit it out. Has zero interest in any other dry food. Tried making “worms” out of Repashy but that was a fail. Not sure what the hype is because NONE of my fish like any flavor of Repashy. Stuff seems awesome so I wish they’d eat it.

I feed my guy bladder and ramshorn snails, raw market shrimp (he hates frozen krill...looks cooked since it’s pink, won’t touch brine shrimp), he will eat dry krill once in a blue moon, won’t touch clams/cockles (minced or whole), ate a piece of crab, will nibble bloodworms, ignores silversides, and relishes ghost shrimp and live blackworms. Although, he’s a jerk and will only eat half a blackworm and spit out the rest and makes a whole pile of half bitten worms..lol. Scuds is a great idea...gonna order some. I’m going to try mealworms next.

Also, I cannot seem to breed enough snails as hel plows through them and it takes forever for them damn snails to grow. Gonna start a colony of cherry shrimp and/or try and breed some crayfish.

Tip: since I sometimes run out of snails, I make sure I freeze the market shrimp and cut it into a little cubes and feed it to him right away, when it’s rock solid, instead of soft and thawed. Hoping this will give him a little extra crunch biting through the frozen shrimp. Hoping it helps keep his teeth trim.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Let me know if you ever find out what that food was and if yours is taking it. Would love to get my schoutedeni on pellets. He will nibble on Hikari Carnivore but spit it out. Has zero interest in any other dry food. Tried making “worms” out of Repashy but that was a fail. Not sure what the hype is because NONE of my fish like any flavor of Repashy. Stuff seems awesome so I wish they’d eat it.

I feed my guy bladder and ramshorn snails, raw market shrimp (he hates frozen krill...looks cooked since it’s pink, won’t touch brine shrimp), he will eat dry krill once in a blue moon, won’t touch clams/cockles (minced or whole), ate a piece of crab, will nibble bloodworms, ignores silversides, and relishes ghost shrimp and live blackworms. Although, he’s a jerk and will only eat half a blackworm and spit out the rest and makes a whole pile of half bitten worms..lol. Scuds is a great idea...gonna order some. I’m going to try mealworms next.

Also, I cannot seem to breed enough snails as hel plows through them and it takes forever for them damn snails to grow. Gonna start a colony of cherry shrimp and/or try and breed some crayfish.

Tip: since I sometimes run out of snails, I make sure I freeze the market shrimp and cut it into a little cubes and feed it to him right away, when it’s rock solid, instead of soft and thawed. Hoping this will give him a little extra crunch biting through the frozen shrimp. Hoping it helps keep his teeth trim.
I posted the video that I had seen from the co op. Its hikari vibra bites. I can not find them anywhere near me. I will have to order them from somewhere eventually. He still hits the pleco bites but wont swallow it. May just be aggressive behavior. I have two colonies of breeding snails. They are growing quite fast for me. I feed a ton though more food more babies. My lfs breeds them too they have 10 buckets in the back full of "pest" snails. They sell them for .05 - .10 cents each. I bought 200 and put them in 3 places 1/3 into each tote and 1/3 in my 40b. I ran an air pump driven sponge filter in the totes 1 got a heater 1 did not the room they are in is around 76f but the heated to is 82f. They breed faster in the heated one. You might want to try that. I cleaned the 40b out feeding about 6 per week. I really didnt mess with the totes other then to feed every couple days. I've done a wc on the totes twice. Id like to change the setup a bit to be able to change the water more often.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Hmm...I’ll have to jack up the temps and see if they’ll breed faster. My LFS barely has any snails surprisingly, they all have assassins or loaches in their plant tanks so snails aren’t easy for me to come by. I buy from a Aquabid once in a while but they charge a lot. I’m gonna setup another tank with scuds, cherry shrimp, and snails in hopes they’ll all breed in there so my puffer can get some variety

Reactions: twentyleagues
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hmm...I’ll have to jack up the temps and see if they’ll breed faster. My LFS barely has any snails surprisingly, they all have assassins or loaches in their plant tanks so snails aren’t easy for me to come by. I buy from a Aquabid once in a while but they charge a lot. I’m gonna setup another tank with scuds, cherry shrimp, and snails in hopes they’ll all breed in there so my puffer can get some variety
you could also get some self breeding crayfish https://aquaticarts.com/products/self-cloning-marmorkreb-crayfish-juveniles

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive had them. They dont breed that well. I had 1 batch of babies which they ate most of. I had them for over a year. Snails are a way easier breeder. And you would need to feed only babies as the larger may be able to hurt the puffer. I will be looking into cpos as I hear they breed quite readily. I guess my reasons for this thread are specific info on Schoutedeni and any one finding anything that works well for feeding them.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ive had them. They dont breed that well. I had 1 batch of babies which they ate most of. I had them for over a year. Snails are a way easier breeder. And you would need to feed only babies as the larger may be able to hurt the puffer. I will be looking into cpos as I hear they breed quite readily. I guess my reasons for this thread are specific info on Schoutedeni and any one finding anything that works well for feeding them.
oh, what about ramshorn snails, I was thinking of getting them for my pea puffers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store