Schoutedeni food?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I never get sick of seeing them eat snails. :)
You see how he has a little difficulty with the larger ones? I've seen saps smaller then him take out snails that size no problem. Mbu and frahaka much larger snails and clams no issue. I can crush those with my fingers pretty easy. Do you think everything is ok?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I dont have issues with them. They are just as easy as ramshorns or mts. If not easier. May be a good one for your dwarf puffer as they take forever to put on any size.
I see the eggs get laid, but they never hatch, no idea why, the eggs are a clear jelly like sack with some yellow dots in them, I've had them lay eggs, they just never hatched

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'm not an expert but it seems to me its a couple weeks for them to hatch. I "marked" a batch of ramshorn eggs and it was just over 2 weeks before they were gone. I may do an experiment on the bladder snails and seperate them and mark some eggs.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You see how he has a little difficulty with the larger ones? I've seen saps smaller then him take out snails that size no problem. Mbu and frahaka much larger snails and clams no issue. I can crush those with my fingers pretty easy. Do you think everything is ok?
Mine was like that too. The bladder snails were always easier for him to eat at any size. The larger ramshorns I would slightly crush for him with my fingers, so he'd still get to crunch them but it was easier for him to get them. I think the spiral makes it harder to crush? I wonder if there's any correlation with these guys having a harder time with harder shells but not having teeth that tend to grow out of control...? Dunno.

I also found bladder snails easy to breed but really slow to grow. But I should have probbly started with more to begin with to make it easier on me.

Reactions: twentyleagues

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I posted the video that I had seen from the co op. Its hikari vibra bites. I can not find them anywhere near me. I will have to order them from somewhere eventually. He still hits the pleco bites but wont swallow it. May just be aggressive behavior. I have two colonies of breeding snails. They are growing quite fast for me. I feed a ton though more food more babies. My lfs breeds them too they have 10 buckets in the back full of "pest" snails. They sell them for .05 - .10 cents each. I bought 200 and put them in 3 places 1/3 into each tote and 1/3 in my 40b. I ran an air pump driven sponge filter in the totes 1 got a heater 1 did not the room they are in is around 76f but the heated to is 82f. They breed faster in the heated one. You might want to try that. I cleaned the 40b out feeding about 6 per week. I really didnt mess with the totes other then to feed every couple days. I've done a wc on the totes twice. Id like to change the setup a bit to be able to change the water more often.
Update: I was able to track down Hikari Vibra Bites and have been trying it for the last 5 days. No interest from schoutedeni at all...lol. Oh well.

I did have a bunch of ramshorn snail eggs hatch...tiny babies everywhere then they all disappeared. There’s only cherry Shrimp in the tank so have no idea where they all went. Ordering scuds soon

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Update: I was able to track down Hikari Vibra Bites and have been trying it for the last 5 days. No interest from schoutedeni at all...lol. Oh well.

I did have a bunch of ramshorn snail eggs hatch...tiny babies everywhere then they all disappeared. There’s only cherry Shrimp in the tank so have no idea where they all went. Ordering scuds soon
Oh! Well thats too bad. I was hopeful. I still havent found it locally. I'm thinking about scuds too still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store