kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You happen to have any exp with them, and know if you they are ok when kept alone. I have read some sources that say they are not affected when kept alone while other sources say they hide all the time when alone.
Mine did well in a group. No aggressive fish. Solo and will hide much more.

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
I have talked to other people who tried to keep a group and it did not go well, they are viscous towards each other. My guy is pretty good with other species though, I would never risk keeping multiple.
Is that for tanks with 2 or did he have 3-4? I am considering 3-4 but if it's the same then I will have to rethink. I have seen multiple of these fish in the same tank on youtube appearing fine. However, youtube will also show you a silver arowana and a red tail in the same tank looking perfectly fine as well.

Reactions: Iamfish

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
They are skittish fish, high strung and nervous, even more so than their berzerk cousin blochii. For them to be comfortable solo, I imagine the setup must be just right. They usually do, behave, and look best in a group.

On an unrelated subject, do you mean to feature that large of an image in your signature? It takes up half of my laptop screen... just saying.
Your pim. Blochi are berserkers?!? Mine are about the laziest fish in the tank. I do have lots of cover however

IMAG00006_BURST02.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is that for tanks with 2 or did he have 3-4? I am considering 3-4 but if it's the same then I will have to rethink. I have seen multiple of these fish in the same tank on youtube appearing fine. However, youtube will also show you a silver arowana and a red tail in the same tank looking perfectly fine as well.
From the little I have read (really little) they will rip into each other sooner or later even with 3-4 or 5 specimen but such accounts are exceedingly rare, of course. I perhaps am recalling only one.

Your pim. Blochi are berserkers?!? Mine are about the laziest fish in the tank. I do have lots of cover however
Eye candy of a tank, bro. Real nice. Yes, the blochii for me have always been kind of like the hyper Pimelodus pictus only larger (half the time, the other half hiding / sitting), when housed in small to medium tanks. No matter the cover. But in a bare 4500 gal, they were much more relaxed.

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
I agree with the other owners of Ornate pims, I find them skittish and hyper

I kept one specimen for 6 months itself and it was fine, active and peaceful, thou it did eat two 4” ompok rhadinurus when it was 5” over the period of a week .

I added three more after 6 months and they all get along fine if possible go for a group they gain more confidence in numbers .

One thing I have noticed about them single or a small group is they can be active and out of about lights on or become easily spooked and go into hiding until lights off , I haven’t figured out the trigger for this it just seems to be something they do. (as im writing this the 4 have been cruising the tank lights on for the last few hours without a care)

They are great fish and one of the best looking IMHO cats you can own.

I’m actually in the process of getting a new tank purely for these guys either a 240 or 300 gallon and looking to get a large group of 12 -18.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
From the little I have read (really little) they will rip into each other sooner or later even with 3-4 or 5 specimen but such accounts are exceedingly rare, of course. I perhaps am recalling only one.

Eye candy of a tank, bro. Real nice. Yes, the blochii for me have always been kind of like the hyper Pimelodus pictus only larger (half the time, the other half hiding / sitting), when housed in small to medium tanks. No matter the cover. But in a bare 4500 gal, they were much more relaxed.
thanks, i agree size matters

Reactions: Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store