How much ammonia do fish produce?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I doubt anybody is going to be able to show me how to calculate or estimate how much ammonia will be created daily from a populated aquarium.
Too many variables. Fish size, type feeding etc. But I was wondering about ball park figures. Anything based on some sort of testing or fact.
Not speculation, or explanations of how to cycle a tank. Please.
I am cycling a tank with ammonia. It will have a high bio load.
The goal should be elimination of ammonia and nitrites in a day I believe. So is that 1PPM / ammonia a day? 5PPM? 10PPM? What should the goal be?

Again just looking for this type of info. Maybe those who have cycled this way (ammonia) and populated the tank with many large cichlids can express what PPM they took the tank up to during cycling and how it worked out when the stocked the tank. That type of anecdotal information would be appreciated.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Your tank should be able to convert 2-3 ppm of ammonia to 0 in 1 day. When adding ammonia it shouldn't exceed 5 ppm or it can prolong the cycling period by actually doing harm to the beneficial bacteria. Once you can convert 2-3ppm ammonia to 0 overnight make sure to do a large water change since your nitrates will be sky high.

That's a good start. as to how high your ammonia will get to in order to convert with ur full stock. Nobody can say but I good start would be to elaborate on what size tank you have filtration and what you intentions are on ur full stock when your done stocking

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Your tank should be able to convert 2-3 ppm of ammonia to 0 in 1 day. When adding ammonia it shouldn't exceed 5 ppm or it can prolong the cycling period by actually doing harm to the beneficial bacteria. Once you can convert 2-3ppm ammonia to 0 overnight make sure to do a large water change since your nitrates will be sky high.

That's a good start. as to how high your ammonia will get to in order to convert with ur full stock. Nobody can say but I good start would be to elaborate on what size tank you have filtration and what you intentions are on ur full stock when your done stocking
Thanks for the reply. I am doing a lot of reading on this. Many say don't exceed 5 ppm so I plan to do about 4ppm. And I am aware of the nitrates and water changes etc. But I was looking for info on what fish may produce. An example of a personal experience would be something like - "I cycled to where it was removing 3ppm a day. When I stocked "X" tank with"Y" fish the ammonia went up to "B' but then returned to 0 in "C" days. Or I had to sue Prime for "D" days and then ammonia went to zero.
For now I will consider your vadvice of 2-3ppm until I get more info.

As I said, I know the tank and fish are variables. If it helps, the tank is about 140 gal and will stock with 4 medium/ large sized ocellatus and 1 medium cichla. Comments on the tank being too small are not needed.
It has a sump. Pump cycles water 8-10 times an hour.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Thanks for the reply. I am doing a lot of reading on this. Many say don't exceed 5 ppm so I plan to do about 4ppm. And I am aware of the nitrates and water changes etc. But I was looking for info on what fish may produce. An example of a personal experience would be something like - "I cycled to where it was removing 3ppm a day. When I stocked "X" tank with"Y" fish the ammonia went up to "B' but then returned to 0 in "C" days. Or I had to sue Prime for "D" days and then ammonia went to zero.
For now I will consider your vadvice of 2-3ppm until I get more info.

As I said, I know the tank and fish are variables. If it helps, the tank is about 140 gal and will stock with 4 medium/ large sized ocellatus and 1 medium cichla. Comments on the tank being too small are not needed.
It has a sump. Pump cycles water 8-10 times an hour.
So 1 peacock bass and 5 ocellatus?.... you say med/large but if you can elaborate on inches it would help

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
4 oscars about 6". i bass 10".

Do you have any media from other established tanks?

I would dose until you can turn over about 4 ppm.

I take it you want to add all at the same time?

Just make sure you feed sparingly and have prime and stability on hand. And check ammonia daily for a while just in case you have to do a water change. You should be alright imo

Reactions: RemainVayne

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach

Just make sure you feed sparingly and have prime and stability on hand. And check ammonia daily for a while just in case you have to do a water change. You should be alright imo
Thanks. This isn't my first tank. But thanks.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017

I too always cycle my tanks using 4ppm just to ensure a strong bio load is present before adding the first fish to the tank

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I too always cycle my tanks using 4ppm just to ensure a strong bio load is present before adding the first fish to the tank
Hey thanks. Can you give me an example of fish and tank size? Thanks again.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Hey thanks. Can you give me an example of fish and tank size? Thanks again.
Did both my 150g and 360g up to 4ppm.

For the 360g, I was able to add 6 large bichir, a big flagtail Prochilodus, and a super fat pearsei all at the same time when cycling was finished. So 8 large bio load fish all at once with zero problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store