Overflow Bulkhead Location + Support

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hi, I'm not sure if this post belongs here or the DIY section so any mods feel free to move it if you feel that's necessary.

So I got a used 555 liter tank (~150 US Gal) and I want to make a sump system for it. I already bought the bulkheads and the pump, but not the stand and the actual sump tank. I plan to use two 2" bulkheads and maybe one 1" for draining the tank for w/c's. All holes being on the bottom panel on the rear left corner, with standpipes and a weir covering all of them. I'm not sure exactly where to place the standpipes because I don't know if it's a weak spot or not, and if the bottom panel would hold out. Also I have 5cm of bottom bracing. The glass thickness appears to be 10mm glass all around, and the front and sides are composed of one single bent sheet (it's not common in the US I know). Another thing is, should I just cut out a hole in the stand where the fittings go? The stand will be a cabinet style with a flat top, so would it need support around the hole?

Here's the tank, it measures 184cm*50cm*60cm (or 72"*20"*24")

Here's a simple drawing to what I plan to do. I know it's crap but I think it's understandable. The drawing is to scale, the green line at the top left is 50mm (~2"). The blue lines represent the weir (to be made out of acrylic) and the locking nut of the bulkheads. The red circles represent the actual holes needed to be made in the glass. Note that there is bottom bracing at the top of the image (similar to the side and down) but it is hidden under the frame, that's why I extended the blue line over it.

So what tweaking does this setup needs? Does anything need to be moved?
I know this is alot of questions but this is my first time making a sump system and I want to get it right the first time, so if there's any more helpful insight and things I should watch out for, That would be much appreciated. Also if anything is not clear, please let me know I'll try to find a better expatiation.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You will need some wrench clearance when you build the stand. The closer everything is together the harder it is to re-tighten the bulkheads.

I wouldn't worry about weakening the stand by cutting a hole in the top. Most stands don't have a top at all. Just a rim and "rungs" on a basic "ladder" frame.

I didn't make the hole in my stand very large, so I built a special wrench to re-tighten the drain. Of course it dripped a little and needed to be tightened again. 3rd time is the charm. ;)
wrench.jpg

My stand has 2 tops with an air space (not essential, just easier to build.) so the wrench goes up in a "hole" about 3.5".
This was ver 1.0 ;) and with another mod to reverse-bend the handle it was strong enough to get the nut tight.

On my other tank the bulkheads are on back and I can get a basin wrench on them.

Reactions: FESHMAN

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
You will need some wrench clearance when you build the stand. The closer everything is together the harder it is to re-tighten the bulkheads.

I wouldn't worry about weakening the stand by cutting a hole in the top. Most stands don't have a top at all. Just a rim and "rungs" on a basic "ladder" frame.

I didn't make the hole in my stand very large, so I built a special wrench to re-tighten the drain. Of course it dripped a little and needed to be tightened again. 3rd time is the charm. ;)
View attachment 1386300

My stand has 2 tops with an air space (not essential, just easier to build.) so the wrench goes up in a "hole" about 3.5".
This was ver 1.0 ;) and with another mod to reverse-bend the handle it was strong enough to get the nut tight.

On my other tank the bulkheads are on back and I can get a basin wrench on them.
Thanks for replying;
My other concern is how far should be the holes from each other so that they don't weaken the bottom? And how far should I be from the bottom braces? Can I get the drains a bit closer to them or would that cause problems? Also, that tool of yours, that's just a slice of hex tube right?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
No, I made that up from scratch.

it's a small piece of cold rolled steel angle that used to be a drawer slide in my kitchen. I notched it in 6 equal places and bent it around a nut. I was going to weld it but I ended up just putting in one rivet.

I ground all the corners off on a grinder to make it round so it would fit inside the round hole on my stand.

It's not super sturdy but you don't need to tighten those plastic nuts very tight either, if you remember to lubricate the rings with silicone.

If you feel that putting the holes that close together will weaken the bottom you can laminate another piece of glass onto that corner from the inside.

If you want a hole to drain the tank from, of course it cannot be behind the weir.

Reactions: FESHMAN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store