Bio Media - Lava Rock

Newwaverap

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
New Jersey
This topic has probably been beaten to death but I have a very particular question. On the Lowes website they have a product called Red Lava Rock and here is the link.

My question is the following, is this a crushed version of the brickets and safe to use on aquariums? Has anyone used this particular product? My thought is that I can pack more of this in a filter and also think it's more versatile because being so small I can use it across a multitude of filters not just the big FX5 and FX6 filters. I thought about Biohome for that very reason but it's almost 5 time more expensive. Nylon scrubbies are ok but I prefer the lava rock out of all the DIY bio media suggestions. You couldn't crush lava rock bricketes could you? Maybe that could be my solution for smaller chunks of lava rock.

Reactions: tlindsey

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I use it. that is just crushed lava rock. you can use a hammer to get it even smaller. I also have biohome ultimate in one canister and haven't noticed any diffence between the two.

Newwaverap

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
New Jersey
I use it. that is just crushed lava rock. you can use a hammer to get it even smaller. I also have biohome ultimate in one canister and haven't noticed any diffence between the two.
Awesome, I was afraid this was more like gravel than lava rock. I thought it was maybe smooth or not as porous as the brickettes. Thank you for the fast reply. Do you know of any place to get Biohome cheaper than Amazon? I'd like to at least try it but not at those prices.

Reactions: BichirKing

Newwaverap

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
New Jersey
I have used it as biomedia in filter towers.

Before using it, I do a water change, and use the old water change water to rinse, killing tow birds with 1 stone.
I also use it in DIY foam Fractionators, to help crack the air water interface
video below
koi pond fractionation
Amazing! that sounds like the way to go for me then. Thanks a lot to everyone who replied right away!

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store