Shortbody FH in 70 gal?

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
Hey all -

I recently acquired a 70 gal tank - 36 in x 18 in x 24 in

What's your opinions on a SB FH living for life in this? I've always wanted a FH, I know bigger is always better. Honestly, I'm reluctant to have a 100+ gallon dedicated to a single fish.
If you don't think that a FH would worlk, do you have any other suggestions to go in this tank? I've kept most types of fish in the past, but never a FH.

Second question, this tank was a FOWLR tank with the previous owner, so has some SW algae in it. What's the best way to clean it so that it's safe for FW stock?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hey all -

I recently acquired a 70 gal tank - 36 in x 18 in x 24 in

What's your opinions on a SB FH living for life in this? I've always wanted a FH, I know bigger is always better. Honestly, I'm reluctant to have a 100+ gallon dedicated to a single fish.
If you don't think that a FH would worlk, do you have any other suggestions to go in this tank? I've kept most types of fish in the past, but never a FH.

Second question, this tank was a FOWLR tank with the previous owner, so has some SW algae in it. What's the best way to clean it so that it's safe for FW stock?
As you say BIAB, but personally I think if it were a SB, and solo, then a 70 gallon would be fine for life, esp. if bare bottom or little subtrate/decor (though even as a barebottom keeper I think a FH needs some kind of shelter or cave to chill out in). All of that said, bear in mind too that FH's, and arguably even more so with SB's, unfortunately aren't the most long-lived of fish nowadays due to genetic issues (which I say a FH lover).

As for the second question I'll have to leave that to someone who could better answer.

If you do get a new FH though, genetic/longevity issues aside, I can pretty much guarantee you will fall in love with its character.

Reactions: Eclipse390

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
As you say BIAB, but personally I think if it were a SB, and solo, then a 70 gallon would be fine for life, esp. if bare bottom or little subtrate/decor (though even as a barebottom keeper I think a FH needs some kind of shelter or cave to chill out in). All of that said, bear in mind too that FH's, and arguably even more so with SB's, unfortunately aren't the most long-lived of fish nowadays due to genetic issues (which I say a FH lover).

As for the second question I'll have to leave that to someone who could better answer.

If you do get a new FH though, genetic/longevity issues aside, I can pretty much guarantee you will fall in love with its character.
What diseases should I watch out for? Or is their general life expectancy shortened because of their genetics? I'm trying to find out what I should expect, but I am very excited to get a solo FH as a new "wet pet" to interact with us all

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yeah they're an already genetically mixed up fish and when you take that and start doing tons of line breeding over the last years, genetic issues are inevitable. Again some say this is even more true with SB's because I think they have similar sized internal organs but crammed into a smaller body.

Insofar as diseases, like quite a few cichlids they're prone to hole in the head disease (HITH) and bloating, esp. if overfed with too high of protein pellets. As such it's recommended to usually keep pellets to under 40% protein, except for very occasionally.

Also you really have to be careful about overfeeding them, they're voracious feeders and arguably the best of beggers in the business, it's very hard to resist them. My Kamafa isn't doing this because he like me or wants to be friendly, he's doing it to get me to feed him lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store