What's everyone's top favorite fish? (for the moment at least)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Been thinking of changing one of my 125s over to a all male Peacock tank ... seriously thinking it over.... lol
I understand the allure of a big colorful peacock tank but I don't really like it all that much
I mean yeah they're colorful but to me it seems kinda out of place
I like male peacocks/haps kept singular or with their own species, cuz the latter tends to bring out more of the color and behavior of the fish. I know people buy specific species of peacocks for male hap community tanks because they want to see that fish along with other fish, but I prefer being able to always see the fish I want, doing its thing unobstructed
Plus there's the whole dominance heirarchy in tanks like that and some fish end up not coloring up etc
Lone male peacocks color up pretty well too, and they can turn out to be pretty personable
Not saying it's a bad idea per se, just saying I like being closer to specific fish that I want to see at their best

Reactions: Chicxulub

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hey, african cichlids people, you know which type of cichlids I mean when I say that, what is it that makes you love them?
All I see is the same body shaped fish that has been photo copied a couple thousands times then given to kids to color.

I see hybrid’s response and it’s reasonable.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Hey, african cichlids people, you know which type of cichlids I mean when I say that, what is it that makes you love them?
All I see is the same body shaped fish that has been photo copied a couple thousands times then given to kids to color.

I see hybrid’s response and it’s reasonable.
Most people just like them for color like I said, but that's just in regards to the colorful haps and mbuna of lake malawi. There's also the tanganyikans, which are all pretty much loved for their behaviors. Brichardi type neolamps and cyprochromis with their natural schooling, general lamprologus, neolamprologus, and julidochromis species with their colonizing behaviors, frontosa, and then tropheus/petrochromis with their shoaling behavior and adaptations to being grazing vegetarians
and then there's the whole set of victorian cichlids, fish from the other crater/rift lakes, salt flats, west african riverine cichlids, madagascan cichlids, etc
all liked for their own reasons

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My favourite? Probably my WC senegal bichir :DIMG_0048.JPG

My fish I most want to keep? The huge datnoid with electric blue lines that I saw fighting a huge moray eel in my dream last night :nilly:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
celebrist celebrist didn’t you have a big bala shark like 13” that died a while back or am I thinking of someone else?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
dr exum dr exum I would have imagined it would have been that red tail catfish of yours.

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store