Best pellet for flowerhorn

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Which NLS or Northfin food would you recommend specifically?
I am using NLS ultra red. NLS cichlid is also a good food. Northfin cichlid is good.

I think Northfin tropical pallets (first 2 ingredients are fish meals) has slightly lesser amount of krill than cichlid (which has 1st ingredient as krill) so may be you can mix it with Northfin krill. It would be better to get RD. RD. input on this. RD, I am not sure if there is any sweet spot for krill quantity as each food has it in different quantity.

For algae based pallet as supplement I would go with NLS Algaemax which has 9 types of algae vs northfin vaggie pallet which mostly consists of kelp.

I am assuming the ingredients are order by quantity they are used as human food.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
For NLS formulas, besides the AlgaeMax formula, just feed whatever size fits your fishes mouth the best.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I accidentally ordered medium pallets of AlgaeMax, they are so tiny.

Go with any NLS thats cheaper and has right pellet size (buying in bulk/2200gm is a good option)

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
I've noticed with these nls floating pellets he spits them up a lot. He never does this with the blood red parrot+. I am not overfeeding. It's not a big deal because he always eats them back up but it's messy.

PangDe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2019
I've noticed with these nls floating pellets he spits them up a lot. He never does this with the blood red parrot+. I am not overfeeding. It's not a big deal because he always eats them back up but it's messy.
My FH did the same, so what i did is mix it up with his food like 5/5 and then increase the amount of nls everyday.

Reactions: Ruturaj

pinfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2020
I personally use Hikari Cichlid Gold large floating pellets as my base food and okiko platinum head huncher and color faster as a treat along with omega one freeze dried krill. My flowerhorn seems to love it all and has grown and gained beautiful coloring extremely fast!

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I personally use Hikari Cichlid Gold large floating pellets as my base food and okiko platinum head huncher and color faster as a treat along with omega one freeze dried krill. My flowerhorn seems to love it all and has grown and gained beautiful coloring extremely fast!
Please don't take it offensively, I certainly don't want to.

Hikari gold has lots of fillers, even hikari recommends bio gold plus. Okiko won't be a treat nor a good food. The improvement you saw were just fish growing and Genetics.

Reactions: JSpilo

pinfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2020
Please don't take it offensively, I certainly don't want to.

Hikari gold has lots of fillers, even hikari recommends bio gold plus. Okiko won't be a treat nor a good food. The improvement you saw were just fish growing and Genetics.
Agree to disagree :)

Reactions: SBM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store