Asian Arowana ID

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
So I managed to get an Asian Arowana from a fish wholesaler in a little emirate here called Ajman. (next to Dubai/Sharjah). I have never seen such a variety of fish before, or prices like these. There are pretty much no restrictions on what you can get.
Anyway the guy told me the Aro was a new shipment from Malaysia, the shelf price was 100 USD. They had a bunch of them along with other kinds of Asian Aros of varying sizes.
As you may expect these guys don't have the best English, and he kept saying RTG Arowana. I wanted to get the experts opinion on what they think it is.

He lives alone with my colony of Geophagus. (In the video when I first introduced him you will see a Silver Arowana and Oscar which I have since rehomed the next day).
I expect he will colour up nicely like my geos once he gets a good variety of pellet foods and shrimp. He was only fed danios in store. A723.jpgA724.jpgA727.jpgA730.jpgA732.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
For the untrained eye, I suspect very hard to tell at that age. I think that's why most folks getting Asian Arows get at a larger size to get a better idea and coloration.

Fish business is not only English based, and as a seller I would think they know what they are selling you (unless they are being deceptive). It could be RTG. I don't know the pricing for your region of the world, but $100 even for that size can't be that bad.

Keep up with the pictures please.

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
For the untrained eye, I suspect very hard to tell at that age. I think that's why most folks getting Asian Arows get at a larger size to get a better idea and coloration.

Fish business is not only English based, and as a seller I would think they know what they are selling you (unless they are being deceptive). It could be RTG. I don't know the pricing for your region of the world, but $100 even for that size can't be that bad.

Keep up with the pictures please.
I don't always trust sales people in these places haha. Whatever is said I take with a pinch of salt.
Ill keep MFK updated with pics and videos as he grows and matures.
He ate his first Hikari carnisticks this morning! Spat them out afterwards, but I think he ate one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store