Large goldfish and a tiger Oscar together??

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
So I have had this 75 gallon tank for about 5 years now and I now just have a single goldfish who is around 8 inches along with a few danios. I was just wondering if I take the danios out would I be able to add a small tiger Oscar to the tank? Yes I have slowly moved the goldfish water temperature up slowly so he can strive in warmer water. I was think I could just keep both those fish in the tank which I think would be plenty of room, however would the Oscar end up killing the goldfish when it gets full grown? Or is it a safe bet because the gold is already so large?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have had this 75 gallon tank for about 5 years now and I now just have a single goldfish who is around 8 inches along with a few danios. I was just wondering if I take the danios out would I be able to add a small tiger Oscar to the tank? Yes I have slowly moved the goldfish water temperature up slowly so he can strive in warmer water. I was think I could just keep both those fish in the tank which I think would be plenty of room, however would the Oscar end up killing the goldfish when it gets full grown? Or is it a safe bet because the gold is already so large?
Welcome aboard
The Goldfish and Oscar are large waste producers. Also the Oscar is prone to Hole in the Head disease. If proper water changes are not performed with the correct % of water and Nitrate is not kept low the Oscar will definitely develop small pits around its head HITH. I personally wouldn't put the too species together imo the Goldfish should be maintained in cold or cooler water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Backfromthedead, most 120 gallon tanks or larger are at least 6 ft long, which is the "minimal length" footprint needed for fish of the sizes they attain. The larger you go the better, because because beyond simple footprint, the larger volumes of water will remain more stable so maintaining water quality is easier. You will still need to do plenty of water changes to keep the by-products of their metabolism in check.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Go for a 120 or larger if you are able to. A 75 or 90 is bare minimum for a large oscar. Whatever the case be prepared to keep up with maintenance because as tom said oscars are big waste producers.
Emphasis on "BIG WASTE". Honestly they take bigger dumps then your fingers sometimes. It'll basically look like a cat or small dog is leaving you "presents" in your fish tank lol. Ppl say that plecos and goldfish are dirty fish, which they are, but they still don't take dumps as big as an Oscar will.
Honestly if you want to stick with just the one tank I would forget the Oscar and maybe get 1-2 fancy goldfish, not the regular ones. The danio's should be fine to stay in with them as long as they are the giant danio's. If they are one of the smaller species I would remove them as they could get eaten but as long as their Giants they should be fine.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Emphasis on "BIG WASTE". Honestly they take bigger dumps then your fingers sometimes. It'll basically look like a cat or small dog is leaving you "presents" in your fish tank lol. Ppl say that plecos and goldfish are dirty fish, which they are, but they still don't take dumps as big as an Oscar will.
Honestly if you want to stick with just the one tank I would forget the Oscar and maybe get 1-2 fancy goldfish, not the regular ones. The danio's should be fine to stay in with them as long as they are the giant danio's. If they are one of the smaller species I would remove them as they could get eaten but as long as their Giants they should be fine.
Eep don't remind me...I still have trauma from vaccuming hot dog turds. ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store