Sports and fitness 2021

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hendre Hendre , I just visited your website, and I am impressed! What a cool site! Also, how do you pronounce your name? Hen-dr-ay?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Went for a jog earlier, not horribleView attachment 1437363
The clocks went back in the uk last night. That's a sure sign that outside hours on the bike are going to be few and far between now. I've put one of them away and set the other up on my turbo trainer. But I hate the turbo that much i'm seriously thinking of starting running again. I used to love running at night and I also don't mind running in bad weather, keeps you from over heating. It's just the prospect of injury to my old body that's putting me off at the minute. Biking is just so smooth on your joints, running's brutal for me.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Goal time? Any time that doesn’t end with me having a heart attack is a goal :nilly:.

I don’t have any goals for 2020 however with the way I’ve been stopping myself at 1,500 calories a day, I’ve been steadily loosing 2 pounds a week. I asked siri how many weeks until 2021 and she says 10 so 203 - (10*2) = 183. If I haven’t been 180 since the beginning of freshman year. That’s the last time I can remember being 180, I gained 20 or so pounds that year and never realized it until the end.
Keep at it, you're doing well.

Hendre Hendre , I just visited your website, and I am impressed! What a cool site! Also, how do you pronounce your name? Hen-dr-ay?
Thank you. And yes, something like that.

The clocks went back in the uk last night. That's a sure sign that outside hours on the bike are going to be few and far between now. I've put one of them away and set the other up on my turbo trainer. But I hate the turbo that much i'm seriously thinking of starting running again. I used to love running at night and I also don't mind running in bad weather, keeps you from over heating. It's just the prospect of injury to my old body that's putting me off at the minute. Biking is just so smooth on your joints, running's brutal for me.
Rain runs are pretty cool, and it's definitely harsher on your joints. Best thing is good shoes and good form, I'm using the "runners knot" to protect my toes and using a more foot-roll heavy technique to absorb impacts, it's just harder on my calves which is taking time to get used to. I'm sure you'll figure something out

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, i've done it. Not a bad time either considering it's my first run since Jan 2019 (when I aggravated my achilles tendon and swore i'd never run again, lol). The route I went on is a route which I used to do a lot before I got injured. My best time at this route, once i'd been running for a while, was 22 mins. I need to slowly build up to that level again now. But for now i'm chuffed. Calves are a bit tight but i'll live.

20201026_195606.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nicely done, it's much faster than I have done lately. Reckon I'll go again tomorrow, it's very hilly so I'll build more despite the suffering.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Nicely done, it's much faster than I have done lately. Reckon I'll go again tomorrow, it's very hilly so I'll build more despite the suffering.
I think part of my injury problem last time was because once I started running I really enjoyed it and I was going out every other night. This was a mistake for me. I reckon it was this run rest run rest run rest pattern that led to my eventually injury. At my age, although my cardiovascular is fantastic, my joints and tendons couldn't take it. I think I need to have a lot more rest days than run days instead of it being 50/50. That's what I intend to do this time around anyway. So I may not go for another run until Thursday now, which hopefully will prevent any slight niggles and tweaks from progressing to something more serious. We'll see.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Well I went to the gym yesterday to hit the weights for the first time in months now lockdown is thankfully over.
I thought I was taking it easy and walked out thinking I could have gone harder, today I am stiff and sore, very tired and absolutely starving and eating all day. Probably need to reassess my plans a bit and be a bit more realistic. I think you are smart esoxlucius esoxlucius in saying us over 40s guys have to realise our bodies are older than our brains like to think. No need to risk an injury after such a long layoff, I will stick with it, will go again tomorrow but will be slow and steady.
It's a shame as I was genuinely expecting to be the muscle lord of the beach by Christmas...........

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well I went to the gym yesterday to hit the weights for the first time in months now lockdown is thankfully over.
I thought I was taking it easy and walked out thinking I could have gone harder, today I am stiff and sore, very tired and absolutely starving and eating all day. Probably need to reassess my plans a bit and be a bit more realistic. I think you are smart esoxlucius esoxlucius in saying us over 40s guys have to realise our bodies are older than our brains like to think. No need to risk an injury after such a long layoff, I will stick with it, will go again tomorrow but will be slow and steady.
It's a shame as I was genuinely expecting to be the muscle lord of the beach by Christmas...........
Lol, muscle lord of the beach, nice. It's something i've never had to think about. Besides, in the uk you'd struggle to show any muscle through a duffle coat, waterproof leggings and wellington boots!

After that run I did on Oct 26th, as I mentioned, I was going to leave it for about 4 days before going on another. Lol, I was still stiff and sore 4 days later!! Then when I did eventually get out on that second run I was totally fine the day after! It's funny how your body quickly adapts. I've done a few runs now since Oct 26th and my times are improving each run. Last weekend was pretty good weather wise too so I also got in a 60k bike ride.

But i'm very mindful of how hard I push now, not biking because that's my thing, but certainly the running part. Like you said, at our age our brains think our bodies can do stuff like we were still in our early 20's.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Lol, muscle lord of the beach, nice. It's something i've never had to think about. Besides, in the uk you'd struggle to show any muscle through a duffle coat, waterproof leggings and wellington boots!

After that run I did on Oct 26th, as I mentioned, I was going to leave it for about 4 days before going on another. Lol, I was still stiff and sore 4 days later!! Then when I did eventually get out on that second run I was totally fine the day after! It's funny how your body quickly adapts. I've done a few runs now since Oct 26th and my times are improving each run. Last weekend was pretty good weather wise too so I also got in a 60k bike ride.

But i'm very mindful of how hard I push now, not biking because that's my thing, but certainly the running part. Like you said, at our age our brains think our bodies can do stuff like we were still in our early 20's.
Funnily enough i went to the local beach last evening. Even if i became a full time steroid head bodybuilder i would never be the muscleiest guy there, some people must have gyms at home or knew of an open gym during the lockdown. Social distancing and masks seem to have been optional too which is a concern but a topic for another thread.
In my time in the UK i stayed in a place called weymouth for a while one summer working in a restaraunt. I liked the english beach culture with the puppet shows and sand sculptures and everyone eating cockles and going "paddling" as you guys call it, i was amused people even go for donkey rides! Its very different to here, more family friendly and cheesy in a good old fashioned way. When i went back in winter to visit some friends everything was closed and it was very bleak and totally different.
Your run was impressive, a lot of people here got an app called "couch to 5K" in lockdown, the idea is it trains you to turn from a slob to someone who can run 5km in a few months. No one i know stuck with it but maybe i can give it a try next autumn. I have noticed cardio improved for me during lockdown with all the walking and kettlebells and its something i want to keep up. I enjoy weights but theres probably more benefit to mix it up with some cardio. Probably need to look at cutting back the cigarettes too which would be good for me now.
How often do you think you will run now you have recovered from the initial pain?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I remember how I stopped working out for the most part for like 2 years and did a bear max squat going off of my numbers from two years ago and I still could do it almost exactly how I did it from two years ago. A perk of being young.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store