Oddball/Predator for 36 gallon bow front

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Definitely set on either the wolf or Amazon puffers.
Amazon Puffers allow me to have more of a community with lots of activity. Downside is it’s not as much of an aggressive predator.
Wolf is a bad*ss predator that I can grow into a monster and isn’t fussy about water. Downside is it is only active during feedings and I have to catch my loaches to move them.

Random thought: senegal bichir? I would think albino is the only that could fit for life...but albino snes are ugly.
Any CB Senegal would probably be ok for a long time, most have growth that slows dramatically after 6”, no WC though

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
What about a halfbeak group? Wrestling and celebus halfbeak are both great. Are you set on the red wolf fish?

edit: If you want REAL predators, Conprecisseps Dwarf Cichlid pair would be nice.

Last edited:

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What about a halfbeak group? Wrestling and celebus halfbeak are both great. Are you set on the red wolf fish?

edit: If you want REAL predators, Conprecisseps Dwarf Cichlid pair would be nice.
Halfbeaks are nice. At this point I think I’m set on the wolf though. I’ve been wanting one for a while.
Of course just to spite me my mbunas decided to kill each other and contract parasites and drop dead just so I can’t sell them. I treated prazi but I think it was too late. I only have 2 inch long ones left. :wall: Wired thing is the loaches are completely unaffected...probably a carrier.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Halfbeaks are nice. At this point I think I’m set on the wolf though. I’ve been wanting one for a while.
Of course just to spite me my mbunas decided to kill each other and contract parasites and drop dead just so I can’t sell them. I treated prazi but I think it was too late. I only have 2 inch long ones left. :wall: Wired thing is the loaches are completely unaffected...probably a carrier.
What type of parasite? Prazipro doesn't kill all internal parasites.

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What type of parasite? Prazipro doesn't kill all internal parasites.
Intestinal (I assume). Fish had white stringy poop and got very thin. They began to refuse food. The larger cichlids didn’t get thin but over the course of 2-3 days slowed down on eating, got very lethargic, and just died. All of this has been over the course of 2 weeks. December 31st I introduced the loaches and two mbunas. One quickly died (either aggression or possible sickness). The other was fine, but slowly began wasting away due to outcompetition, eventually deteriorating fast in the past week while others started to die. My two most recent additions from a few weeks ago are the only ones left.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Deadeye Deadeye , Kind of tough to get a cool little predator for that 36 gallon. Ive been playing musical tanks with my arrowhead puffer due to his lack of activity. I started him in a 65B, then put him in a 30, then moved him into a 46g planted bowfront and now decided back into a 30. My hairy will swim all over when Im in the room and actually uses her 65B to the full. But the problem with these puffs... no tankmates.

With all “monster” fish I currently have in tanks I actually am having more fun with a small community tank I started up. I really had never kept angels, tetras, gourami before, its always been large cichlid, bichirs and “monsters”. Sometimes the basic stuff can be the most rewarding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store