Check out my baby Teugelsi Bichir

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
So my LFS has had this little guy for over a month. I kept telling myself I already have one and I don’t need another one. They ordered it thinking it was going to be a 5-6” (As that what their chart indicates as small on their list) what arrived was less than the size of a quarter.

I thought it was crazy how small it was. All the little fish that shared his little aquarium with him, to him were large and out competing him for food, and getting bought when he was not.

I knew this because I was there when they received their order. When I came back today, they still had him. He was the only familiar face in the tank and he was the same exact length and girth as the day I saw him.

So my feel bad meter was full a month later seeing this. So I took him, and gave him his own 10 gallon aquarium. He is way way way too small to be with the others.

Originally he was going to share it with the tiny ornate I have, but even that Ornate was too large for this one. When he started following the Teugelsi around and acting suspicious, I gave him a tank upgrade. Now the Teugelsi is alone.

I’m happy to say that literally the second he was brought home, taken from the bag and put into the tank, he started hunting for tubifex worms immediately, seemingly unbothered. In one of the pictures you can see the Ornate, before he was moved.

4AF05872-819B-4F5F-A6EF-9BD81B073A45.jpeg

C4AF1D6E-AA79-46F7-965C-7DD544401D3C.jpeg

0D347337-8417-41A7-ADA3-E5641A5FEDE0.jpeg

59F7797D-68F0-41CE-82BA-CC1E35501970.jpeg

4747CF90-2AEC-4B30-998B-FA3CC847FB1B.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my LFS has had this little guy for over a month. I kept telling myself I already have one and I don’t need another one. They ordered it thinking it was going to be a 5-6” (As that what their chart indicates as small on their list) what arrived was less than the size of a quarter.

I thought it was crazy how small it was. All the little fish that shared his little aquarium with him, to him were large and out competing him for food, and getting bought when he was not.

I knew this because I was there when they received their order. When I came back today, they still had him. He was the only familiar face in the tank and he was the same exact length and girth as the day I saw him.

So my feel bad meter was full a month later seeing this. So I took him, and gave him his own 10 gallon aquarium. He is way way way too small to be with the others.

Originally he was going to share it with the tiny ornate I have, but even that Ornate was too large for this one. When he started following the Teugelsi around and acting suspicious, I gave him a tank upgrade. Now the Teugelsi is alone.

I’m happy to say that literally the second he was brought home, taken from the bag and put into the tank, he started hunting for tubifex worms immediately, seemingly unbothered. In one of the pictures you can see the Ornate, before he was moved.

View attachment 1453432

View attachment 1453433

View attachment 1453434

View attachment 1453435

View attachment 1453436
Awesome looking baby teugelsi and great you moved the larger Ornate.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Looking good, how big is the size difference between that ornate and teug?
1st pic. Looks like the teug would have been a light snack......or maybe an after dinner tooth pick.

View attachment 1453432

View attachment 1453433

View attachment 1453434

View attachment 1453435

View attachment 1453436
Looks good! Good idea moving the ornate. That was about the size mine was when I got it too, a year and a half later it was 18".

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
Looking good, how big is the size difference between that ornate and teug?
The pictures don’t really do it justice. The Teugelsi could fit inside a US quarter. The ornate about 2 and a half quarters. The ornate started out that way when I got him too. His grown seems slow. My Teugelsi (the other one) exploded in size though.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The pictures don’t really do it justice. The Teugelsi could fit inside a US quarter. The ornate about 2 and a half quarters. The ornate started out that way when I got him too. His grown seems slow. My Teugelsi (the other one) exploded in size though.
I have found that bichirs that get outcompeted, and then have easier access to food, get really ravenous, eating 3-4x and explode in size.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Just watch out on that ornate, since its way bigger it can eat the teug. I had a 5” ornate that ate a 3” endli before.

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
Just watch out on that ornate, since its way bigger it can eat the teug. I had a 5” ornate that ate a 3” endli before.
yeah like I said in the post I removed the ornate within 2 minutes of putting the Teug in there because he was following the little one around and acting funny.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store