New 300G Setup

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Getting time to get quite a bit done while on furlough. Thinking I may buy some self leveler and level the floor, not sure if I can get that ambitious or not. :) Got some tank drilling done today. Decided on no offset, as I think I will just use some 90's to raise the water level.

IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2047.jpg
IMG_2048.jpg
Of course my plastic trays won't fit over the unions, so I guess I will have to keep a close eye on them.
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

Attachments

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Ended up drilling a second emergency in the first tank just in case especially since I will have the drain right there why not? ? Got all my fittings for the sump connection glued and connected and started a leak test. The green abs to pvc stuff is alot thicker and harder to work with than the regular pvc cement. So far I had small leaks at one of the unions and one of the bulkheads. Got both tightened down and no further leaking so far. Plan on giving it a few days to be sure. Thinking the water level in the first tank should be a bit higher than just the 90's. Tank is 17" high and the 90's go up to about 8.5" Anyone have any recommendations for water height?
IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2054.jpgIMG_2057.jpgIMG_2055.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i like the guide you made!

strong work!

Reactions: Denon

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I would think you'd want as much water in your sump as possible but still leaving enough room for the display tank to drain when the pump is shut off. More water volume is a good thing.

Our two setups are very similar. I started out with two smaller bulkheads and installed larger ones when I realized how slow water flows when not under pressure. The smaller ones could barely handle the water I wanted to push through them. THEN I started to wonder what would happen if one of them got plugged so I installed a third one higher in the tank to work as an emergency overflow.

We even put the emergency drain in the first tank in the same place (you can see the open hole in the pic). I've got a standpipe in mine but it can be unscrewed whenever I want to drain the water out of the sumps.

GMTA!!

LOL

IMG_6667.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: dr exum and Denon

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ended up drilling a second emergency in the first tank just in case especially since I will have the drain right there why not? ? Got all my fittings for the sump connection glued and connected and started a leak test. The green abs to pvc stuff is alot thicker and harder to work with than the regular pvc cement. So far I had small leaks at one of the unions and one of the bulkheads. Got both tightened down and no further leaking so far. Plan on giving it a few days to be sure. Thinking the water level in the first tank should be a bit higher than just the 90's. Tank is 17" high and the 90's go up to about 8.5" Anyone have any recommendations for water height?
View attachment 1456183
View attachment 1456184View attachment 1456185View attachment 1456186
How is the leak testing coming along so far? As I was reading along, I thought to myself - I hope he knows to use thread tape on those unions. But you look like you know more about what you are doing than I do lol. After plumbing my 270, I have decided that any threaded fittings should be thread taped. That $1 thread tape makes the difference in such a big way.

Reactions: Denon

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
i like the guide you made!

strong work!
Thanks I bought a template kit from custom aquarium and liked it so much I made one of my own for the 1” bulkheads. They do work well. I found on the last hole I drilled using running water from a hose speeds the drilling process considerably from just pouring water on occasion. Wish I would have known that before drilling all those holes. ?

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
I would think you'd want as much water in your sump as possible but still leaving enough room for the display tank to drain when the pump is shut off. More water volume is a good thing.

Our two setups are very similar. I started out with two smaller bulkheads and installed larger ones when I realized how slow water flows when not under pressure. The smaller ones could barely handle the water I wanted to push through them. THEN I started to wonder what would happen if one of them got plugged so I installed a third one higher in the tank to work as an emergency overflow.

We even put the emergency drain in the first tank in the same place (you can see the open hole in the pic). I've got a standpipe in mine but it can be unscrewed whenever I want to drain the water out of the sumps.

GMTA!!

LOL

View attachment 1456217
Yeah that seems like a good plan. I’ll have to just tweak water height as I go. What size bulkheads are you running? I like the idea of a third emergency bulkhead above. With my two emergency 1”drains I probably won’t mess with it unless the water flow is too restricted though.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
How is the leak testing coming along so far? As I was reading along, I thought to myself - I hope he knows to use thread tape on those unions. But you look like you know more about what you are doing than I do lol. After plumbing my 270, I have decided that any threaded fittings should be thread taped. That $1 thread tape makes the difference in such a big way.
So far so good. On my emergency 1” overflows I didn’t glue them so they were dripping slowly so I added a 90 so there wouldn’t be a mess. I actually did not use any thread tape on this project so far. I used some thread sealer on the water filter, but that is a good point if I run into any leaks that after tightening still leak I can always turn to tape or thread seal.

Reactions: Matteus

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Anyone tried any of that poret foam from Swiss tropical? Thinking about adding 5 or so blocks of the 3” to the first tank. Probably go something like10ppi,20ppi,30ppi,30ppi,30ppi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store