New 300G Setup

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Those are 40B tanks correct? If so, just go with the 2" thick Poret, easier to handle, cheaper to buy and easier to remove when wet.

I don't run sumps but DO use Poret as HMF filters in my fish room tanks and also in my large Eheim filters.

Definitely contact Stephan at swiss tropicals for his suggestions on which PPM size to use.

I also think but am not positive that you would NOT want the Poret foam to be as tall as the tank because as they clog up, water may back up in the sump chamber a bit. If you cut them a couple inches lower, the water will flow over the top of that section and not flood the room.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Those are 40B tanks correct? If so, just go with the 2" thick Poret, easier to handle, cheaper to buy and easier to remove when wet.

I don't run sumps but DO use Poret as HMF filters in my fish room tanks and also in my large Eheim filters.

Definitely contact Stephan at swiss tropicals for his suggestions on which PPM size to use.

I also think but am not positive that you would NOT want the Poret foam to be as tall as the tank because as they clog up, water may back up in the sump chamber a bit. If you cut them a couple inches lower, the water will flow over the top of that section and not flood the room.
Thanks for the recommendation, I probably would have just ordered, but instead I reached out to Stephan, and sent him a picture of the setup. He seems very knowledgeable and recommended going 10,20,20,30. Even said he would cut it down for me once we knew for sure what the water level would be in the first tank. He did recommend going with the 3" I promise I didn't influence him in my initial email, in fact I said 2". lol

Reactions: deeda

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Another day another section of PVC glued. Does anyone know how to get that sticky crap off the pvc where they put the barcode stickers? Wonder if I just add a few end caps on the bottom of the run and fill it with water if it would work for a leak test? I really don't want to fill the tank until i get the floor leveled. IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

Reactions: Dee eng

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
I am curious why did you drill the holes and not have glasscages drill them ?
I wanted to use one of their competitors overflows (custom aquariums) and wasn’t sure exactly where my holes needed to be at the the of purchase. After reading their Facebook page it sounds like they will buy and install custom stuff like this at the purchasers request though so I probably could have had them do it. In the end I’m glad I drilled them myself though, i thought it was fun.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You could try fingernail polish remover that is acetone based or just plain acetone or denatured alcohol to remove sticky residue and the lettering on the PVC.

Reactions: Denon

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Yay, finally done with the returns other than gluing them to the bulkheads of the filter sock holders. Had to really work to get the center union water tight, that thread tape and oil wrench I picked up really came in handy. I bought a few end caps and other than some minor leakage from the top of the bulkheads and said union all was good. On to the returns tomorrow. I'm counting on them being a lot easier to work with since I'll be working with 1" and 3/4" pipe.

IMG_2062.jpgIMG_2063.jpgIMG_2064.jpgIMG_2065.jpg

Reactions: deeda

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
So ended up getting my returns glued to the filter sock holder and low and behold after testing again I had a small leak at the gate valve. I guess so much water was coming out from the sock holder area there wasn't enough pressure to initiate the leak. I could tell the PVC going into the gate valve seemed a little loose and I was worried about that side of the connection. That was part of the reason I put that union in there besides being able to service the gate valve. Anyway I went and bought some jb weld water which is water potable and so far it is holding up. Also played around with the returns a bit. Can't really decide how I want to run them either going in the stand and drilling a hole or staying back behind the stand and using what's already cut out. I plan on going down 3/4", going with a 3/4---3/4---1" T and then the last 1 foot or so using silicone tubing. This way if I lose one pump at least one side of the aquarium will still have water movement. IMG_2071.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg

Reactions: TexasMFK31
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store